Zuke's new leaves dying

As the new leaves emerge from the crown, they are nice and green but quickly the edges turn brown and then the whole thing dies within a couple days. What could be causing this? I read overwatering could do this but they are in very well drained soil and get water every 2 days. My moisture meter shows dry by that time. I have 2 of them in a 24 inch pot with 2 cubic feet of soil. They are on their 4th leaves each right now. I notice my cukes are doing the same thing but they have far more healthy growth than dying so they are starting to grow quite rapidly. Same watering schedule. Days have been hiugh 80s and nights low 60s.
Should I abandon the zukes?
look at the bottom of the leaves, look along the stem for a hole. moth lays egg, caterpillar eats into stem moves along killing as it goes. thin wire into hole maybe you can skewer the culprit. not sure what people use maybe Bt spray?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago