You KNOW it's too darned hot when...

/teacher mode

A. You cannot touch the cast iron railing around your deck B. The standing water in your hose is hotter than your shower C. You cannot step on the metal steps of your deck barefoot D. All of the above

/teacher mode

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Too hot to walk barefoot on my wood deck, 98 yesterday, last night was nice

72 for the low and I slept well without the air running and windows open during the night. Today expected to have a high around 93 Fahrenheit.

Tomatoes seem to go no where, my cucumbers are growing like gangbusters in this hot weather. Leaf lettuce bolting, green beans seem to suffer, corn needs more rain badly. Lawn is scraggly and dry needle like on the footsies :)

Indoors, lots of baking with the air on, humidity is low in the house so I think a pan fudge, fresh bread and peach cobbler is on the order for the day. Too hot outside for grilling, I'll burn my little toes off on my back deck. So Chicken and Dumplings with the peach cobbler sounds good to me and therefore I won't be loosing any weight soon.

Shoes and old age just does not go well with me anymore :)

Reply to
Nad R

It is 94 in my kitchen. The outside temp in the shade is 101. The deck back planks register between 137 and 146 with an IR thermometer.

We are going out for dinner, To hell with it.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Where I live, the average of daily highs for July over the past 6 years is 93°F. The same is true for August. September is "only" 90°F. These are actual temperatures without any adjustments for humidity. Fortunately, the averages of night-time lows is about 30°F lower than the day-time highs.

No, I don't live in the desert. The National Weather Service classifies my climate as coastal valley.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Has not quite topped 100 here in northern Delaware but my tomatoes grown on deck in pots don't appear to like all the heat we are getting. Tomatoes look good but plant growth seems down. Hybrid big boy and early girl don't look as good as heirloom brandywine.

Reply to
Frank

Same here, tomatoes look healthy but the growth is down, I would estimate one forth shorter in height than normal.

Reply to
Nad R

Last year, in Louisiana it was 110 degrees. Went into a restaurant. When we came out, right as the sun went below the horizon, I remarked a cool font must have come through. It felt cool. Car thermometer and thermometer on a sign, down the road, read 103 degrees.

Reply to
LilAbner

when you can't put your bare foot on the wooden deck!

Cheryl Isaak

'air on'???? What's with this 'air on' biz? The temps you've mentioned means it hasn't hit the ton yet.

And that list of food is winter fare IMO. Here, when it does get hot, summer food is BBQ or cold meats or grilled meat (broiled in USian think) and salads - nothing at all that requires the oven to be on. Dessert is fruit salad or icecream but mainly no dessert at all because it's too darned hot to add food to a stomach that then generates heat in the digestive process.

Reply to
FarmI

Air conditioning

Cobbler isn't too bad, only takes 20 min. Make it in the afternoon when things start to cool down and you can open all the windows. At least that's what I do, but my low tonight is 52F. Charlie Underlog, and Bill Who Putters are looking at 72F for a low tonight. Makes me faint to think of it, and I sleep next to an open window, which, thanks to my diuretic, I'm awake enough to close when it gets too cool at night.

I'll sometimes boil potatoes of an evening for potato salad the following day. My potato salad is at least 50% celery, radish, green onion, and pickles with the odd bit of lettuce lining the bowl which is thrown in for the presentation. Desert is often fruit, and cheese. Cooking during the day is out during the summer, but helps warm the house during the winter.

Nad has just moved to the country, it may take awhile for him to find the rhythm.

Our air conditioning (AC) is closing up in the morning, and then opening up in the evening. We aren't total savages, we do have an attic fan.

Reply to
Billy

The night time Temperatures are around the 70s lately. It is the hottest summer in decades. I turn the "Air" off when temperature gets below 85F. I completely understand how you feel when it comes to taking those diuretics :)

Normally yes, it is winter food. But with the air conditioner on that runs about two weeks a year. The humidity inside the home is low that winter food does not seem bad. I also made a batch of fudge, humidity wreck havoc on making good fudge.

But like I said the deck was tooooo hot for grilling. Summer is also for bare feet, forget those shoes.

The only lettuce that is good was the Butter Crunch Bib lettuce, all other lettuces tasted hot and strong, I pulled it the most of it. Same with the neighbors about there lettuce, the extra hot summer seems to have an effect on lettuce. But I surprised it had no effect on the bib lettuce, tasted very good. Potato salad sounds good for tomorrow, left overs today... The cobbler was good.

I am going on my thirteenth year now, I am have pretty much settled into the country lifestyle. I can tell by the way I drive, slow and looking at the scenery, people passing me by, yep I am now a country driver, gone are the bumper riding, speeding, hard accelerating mad man :)

Reply to
Nad R

After posting, I visited neighbor with plants in the ground and they were bigger and greener but he did go for later planting and is just starting to get ripe ones while I've had them for nearly a month.

His cucumbers are ready for picking but mine are only an inch or so. Again, ground vs pot.

Reply to
Frank

My cucumbers are going like gang busters, soon the canning equipment gets dragged out of the basement. I will say cucumbers seem to like hot weather. I think I am going to grow okra each year again, it must be a food year for okra growers.

Reply to
Nad R

When you see the jackrabbits carrying canteens.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I am seeing more wildlife on the move, water is becoming scarce for them. The ponds and are really low this year. I saw my little yorkie out in the field last week and would not come when I called. My little yorkie found a bunch new born rabbits. Little Mickey killed four new born rabbits about twice the size of a mouse and was eating one, he ran off from me and completely ate one of the baby rabbits. I should say the adult rabbits are just a little bigger than my little feisty dog.

Reply to
Nad R

"Nad R" wrote

We have a glut of wildlife here this year due to spring rains last spring. Included is thousands of acres of foxtails, causing problems with the animals, and wildfires. I have never ever seen as many rabbits as there are this year. But correspondingly, no increase in coyote numbers. We have coyotes come to our back yard, which abuts public land. We have irrigated pastures. At night, I can see three dozen at any given time. Seems to be lots of quail, too, coming into their second clutch of this year. But I haven't heard a coyote yet this year.

I hope the rabbits eat all the foxtails, but they seem to prefer green over dry.

Not as hot here, only up to 105 or so, but August is coming.

Steve XXtreme SW Utah

Reply to
Steve B

it rained allot here in May, it sprinkles here every few days, but no down pours. in my part of the state of Michigan I seem to missing out on the rain. West side of Michigan gets lots rain and snow every year.

Few coyotes here for now. Our township hires hunters and they seek coyote dens. They give permission to cross our property, which is fine with me, they give ample warning, to hunt them. Two years ago they found two dens with a total of thirty five coyotes. I have seen a coyote about two months ago, but their population is way down in my area the last two years.

Cause and effect, Lots of rabbits though.

Like the mathematical model: "Predator vs Prey".

Reply to
Nad R

It was a rhetorical question.

It's not just the time it takes having the oven on, it's the ingredients that for me make it a winter dessert. Those carbohydrates are good for warmth.

Make it in the afternoon when

That's 22C which is not overly hot, but certainly not in the territory of being a stinker of a night. I really like it when it's 14C whereas 30C is not at all pleasant.

Makes me faint to

Sounds great. Mine is a bit all over the place depending on what i have on hand, but I like mine with crisp bacon bits and gherkins added.

Desert is often fruit, and cheese.

Yup

LOL. We have a similar air con system.

Reply to
FarmI

How do you 'can' them? ie what do you do to them before they go into the container?

Reply to
FarmI

:-)) You sound like you were looking for an excuse to tuck into that peach cobbler.

I also made a batch of fudge, humidity wreck havoc

Crocs or flip flops are good for such situations. Slip 'em on as needed and burned foootsies is a real 'need' situation TMWOT.

I often use very young silver beet (which I think is chard in USian) in salads in the hot weather when the lettuce is moribund. It goes very well with tingy very crisp shredded bacon, very ripe tomatoes and a dressing with tomato passata added to the oil and vinegar.

Silver beet (chard) just powers through the heat and the young leaves are still soft enough to eat like a lettuce.

Reply to
FarmI