You KNOW it's too darned hot when...

Page 1 of 3
/teacher mode
A. You cannot touch the cast iron railing around your deck B. The standing water in your hose is hotter than your shower C. You cannot step on the metal steps of your deck barefoot D. All of the above
/teacher mode
Chris

Too hot to walk barefoot on my wood deck, 98 yesterday, last night was nice 72 for the low and I slept well without the air running and windows open during the night. Today expected to have a high around 93 Fahrenheit.
Tomatoes seem to go no where, my cucumbers are growing like gangbusters in this hot weather. Leaf lettuce bolting, green beans seem to suffer, corn needs more rain badly. Lawn is scraggly and dry needle like on the footsies :)
Indoors, lots of baking with the air on, humidity is low in the house so I think a pan fudge, fresh bread and peach cobbler is on the order for the day. Too hot outside for grilling, I'll burn my little toes off on my back deck. So Chicken and Dumplings with the peach cobbler sounds good to me and therefore I won't be loosing any weight soon.
Shoes and old age just does not go well with me anymore :)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:00:19 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

It is 94 in my kitchen. The outside temp in the shade is 101. The deck back planks register between 137 and 146 with an IR thermometer.
We are going out for dinner, To hell with it.
On 7/22/11 9:34 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

Where I live, the average of daily highs for July over the past 6 years is 93F. The same is true for August. September is "only" 90F. These are actual temperatures without any adjustments for humidity. Fortunately, the averages of night-time lows is about 30F lower than the day-time highs.
No, I don't live in the desert. The National Weather Service classifies my climate as coastal valley.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 7/22/2011 12:34 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

Last year, in Louisiana it was 110 degrees. Went into a restaurant. When we came out, right as the sun went below the horizon, I remarked a cool font must have come through. It felt cool. Car thermometer and thermometer on a sign, down the road, read 103 degrees.

'air on'???? What's with this 'air on' biz? The temps you've mentioned means it hasn't hit the ton yet.
And that list of food is winter fare IMO. Here, when it does get hot, summer food is BBQ or cold meats or grilled meat (broiled in USian think) and salads - nothing at all that requires the oven to be on. Dessert is fruit salad or icecream but mainly no dessert at all because it's too darned hot to add food to a stomach that then generates heat in the digestive process.

Air conditioning

Cobbler isn't too bad, only takes 20 min. Make it in the afternoon when things start to cool down and you can open all the windows. At least that's what I do, but my low tonight is 52F. Charlie Underlog, and Bill Who Putters are looking at 72F for a low tonight. Makes me faint to think of it, and I sleep next to an open window, which, thanks to my diuretic, I'm awake enough to close when it gets too cool at night.

I'll sometimes boil potatoes of an evening for potato salad the following day. My potato salad is at least 50% celery, radish, green onion, and pickles with the odd bit of lettuce lining the bowl which is thrown in for the presentation. Desert is often fruit, and cheese. Cooking during the day is out during the summer, but helps warm the house during the winter.
Nad has just moved to the country, it may take awhile for him to find the rhythm.
Our air conditioning (AC) is closing up in the morning, and then opening up in the evening. We aren't total savages, we do have an attic fan.
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would overhaul Social

The night time Temperatures are around the 70s lately. It is the hottest summer in decades. I turn the "Air" off when temperature gets below 85F. I completely understand how you feel when it comes to taking those diuretics :)

Normally yes, it is winter food. But with the air conditioner on that runs about two weeks a year. The humidity inside the home is low that winter food does not seem bad. I also made a batch of fudge, humidity wreck havoc on making good fudge.
But like I said the deck was tooooo hot for grilling. Summer is also for bare feet, forget those shoes.

The only lettuce that is good was the Butter Crunch Bib lettuce, all other lettuces tasted hot and strong, I pulled it the most of it. Same with the neighbors about there lettuce, the extra hot summer seems to have an effect on lettuce. But I surprised it had no effect on the bib lettuce, tasted very good. Potato salad sounds good for tomorrow, left overs today... The cobbler was good.

I am going on my thirteenth year now, I am have pretty much settled into the country lifestyle. I can tell by the way I drive, slow and looking at the scenery, people passing me by, yep I am now a country driver, gone are the bumper riding, speeding, hard accelerating mad man :)

wrote in message

:-)) You sound like you were looking for an excuse to tuck into that peach cobbler.
I also made a batch of fudge, humidity wreck havoc

Crocs or flip flops are good for such situations. Slip 'em on as needed and burned foootsies is a real 'need' situation TMWOT.

I often use very young silver beet (which I think is chard in USian) in salads in the hot weather when the lettuce is moribund. It goes very well with tingy very crisp shredded bacon, very ripe tomatoes and a dressing with tomato passata added to the oil and vinegar.
Silver beet (chard) just powers through the heat and the young leaves are still soft enough to eat like a lettuce.

I have never had Swiss Chard, I have seen it, I even have seed packets of it. I will look forward to growing them next year... Something new :)

be given> wrote:

It's a very useful vegetable. The bigger leaves are really tasty if you wash them, shake the water off, dump them in a pot to which some butter and freshly grated nugtmeg has been added and then just sweat themin the most miniscule amoutn of water - often wha'ts left fromt he wahign is enough. Don't cook the leaves in lots of water till they are mushy unless you like to eat green-goo mush. My mother used to cook it like that and it was just so disgusting that it made me want to hurl and it was many, many, many years into my adult life before I would even touch the stuff - now I just love it. And even if the leaves get huge and the white (rainbow) ribs get to be huge, I even love them as I cut the green off, slice the stems, steam them and toss them in a white sauce to which cheese has been added, or just some grated parmesan or whatever occurs to me. And chooks and all forms of poultry just love being given the leaves as a treat. Add to that the fact that it's probably the closest thing to a 'no care' plant, then it's got the be good value in the veg garden.

It was a rhetorical question.

It's not just the time it takes having the oven on, it's the ingredients that for me make it a winter dessert. Those carbohydrates are good for warmth.
Make it in the afternoon when

That's 22C which is not overly hot, but certainly not in the territory of being a stinker of a night. I really like it when it's 14C whereas 30C is not at all pleasant.
Makes me faint to

:-))
Sounds great. Mine is a bit all over the place depending on what i have on hand, but I like mine with crisp bacon bits and gherkins added.
Desert is often fruit, and cheese.

Yup
LOL. We have a similar air con system.

Sounds more like a vinaigrette type (German) potato salad. Mine are usually of the mustard and mayonnaise variety with a little of the "Del Monte" pickle juice thrown in for good measure.

We've only had a few days of warm weather, unlike our brethren east of the Rocky Mountains, where the heat is wicked. Yet to break 100F (38C) here. It is good for living (low 80F) but not very encouraging for the garden, which could use another 10 degrees F.
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would overhaul Social
be given> wrote:>>

When you say 'vinaigrette' type, are you referring to the dressing on it? I always use a mayo type dressing.

So do you see any evidence that the current 'heat waves' is having any impact on the attitude of the average USian to climate change?

My bad. Back in the day that I ate carbs freely, boiled potatoes, vinaigrette (olive oil, vinegar, mustard, black pepper) and pickles was a common breakfast for me.
Bacon, gherkins, mayonnaise, and mustard

Can't hurt. There are numerous new highs, but no new lows, duh!
The people in Greece, Egypt, and Spain seem to know that they are being ripped-off, and now they have to pay for it again? Show of hands. How many of you think that we have been ripped-off by the government to the benefit of the banks that are sitting on piles of money, yet won't make loans that could create jobs?
Yet, (July 06, 2011) in early April, 60% of voters said (in Boston) finding new energy sources should take priority over reducing energy consumption. Prior to the latest survey, the number of voters who share that view has ranged from a low of 55% to a high of 68%. In those same surveys, 28% to 35% have felt reducing the amount of energy consumed should take precedent.
--
But that was before the heat wave that some are calling the "Second
Dust-Bowl.

Non what so ever, concerning global warning. One third of the USA are of a strong religious base and are against global warming theory. This same strong republican religious conservative base will not change. in my book these people are destroying this country.
Snip..

Today in the USA, like those in Europe are concerned with an economic collapse. There maybe a temporary solution but getting worse in the long run. In the USA a two thirds majority is needed to get anything done. Not enough votes to raise taxes and not enough votes to cut the budget.
If nothing gets done by August 2, that is the day the economy could collapse. If they do vote for temporary solution the collapse day will be temporarily delayed.

be given> wrote:

Well it seems some conservative Republicans want to do that at the moment given the news on the US economic situation. No wonder our dollar is so high against the US dollar.

Indeed. What do they expect to happen in a six month window - a miracle?

After some reading, In the US the average carbon use per person is on the decline in last few years. In Australia the average carbon use per person is on the increase. If correct, the average Australian now uses more carbon per person than the average person in the United States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita

Doom and Gloom, Sky will Fall, Panic and Mayhem, Armageddon...
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/23/us-default-on-debt-could-be-disastrous-choice-for-economy /
US currency won't be worth spit.

So it boils down to the Republicans will gut the country, or leave it to the IMF (SAP) to gut the country. Everything will be devalued, and the rich will buy it for pennies on the dollar (The Top 1% wins).
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would cut Social
be given> wrote:

AFAIK, Australia always has had higher per capita emissions than the US. Not suprising given that we are as big as the lower 48 of the US, have a high standard of living, a small population clinging round the edges and highly centralised suppliers.
Where our nations always seemed to be different is that the majority of Australians would beleive that climate change is real and happening. I'm sure there are peope in Oz who don't belive it, but I don't know them. I avoid people whose knuckles drag on the ground when they walk.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/23/us-default-on-debt-could-be-disastrous-choice-for-economy /
I can remeber well when the exchange rate was .59c Au to $1US and pundits were getting excited about the chance of the $Au breaking the .60c barrier - now the rate is $1.09Au to $1US so a lot of damage has already been done.