Yet another deer repellent

I was talking to a friend yesterday about the deer which are eating the flowers off my mums (not that it matters much - the plants will be corpses anyway soon). He said he had the same problem with some small apple trees on his property - the deer were stripping the new leaves. When he went to the store to find some sort of repellent, the lady, a friend of his, told him to save his money and try a homemade thing: Irish Spring bar soap, shredded with a cheese grater and hung around the trees in knee-hi stockings.
He said he ran out of soap after making these things for all but two trees, and in the two days between that point and going grocery shopping again, he watched with binoculars as the deer passed by the scented trees and headed straight for the "normal" trees. When he caught up and treated those last two, the problem ended, and it worked 3 years in a row.
I'm gonna try it, although the deer around my property are so fearless, I may be able to walk right up to them and dope-slap them. We'll see.
Doug Kanter wrote:

socks, won't you? ;)
Jean

I was thinking more in terms of putting them on short sticks all around the garden. :-)
Hows this for fearless...I personally witnessed a doe try & trample my neighbors cat when it got too close to her and her two large fawns. I have no regrets about allowing hunters onto the property.
Dan
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:18:51 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

That's really over the line, messing with someone's cat. Get out the roasting pan for THAT deer. :-)

I had a doe go after my Papillon big time trying to make toe jam outta him. and she was intent cause when I stepped out between them she stopped by had that look like she was going to renew the chase until I ran right at her swinging a dish towel in the air. they were so bold we got my mother an air pistol to get em to move. Ingrid

my dogs tend to mark the perimeter of our property. the deer sidestep our land and go straight to the neighbor's garden. we've only seen one on our property, and after i let the dogs give chase, they've never come back.
they seem to have scared the gophers away to. now if they'd only do something about those damn moles (besides digging up all their tunnels!)
-kelly

Some hunters use cats for target practice.

As a hunter, I resent that, even though other hunters have told me pussy is better than deer ;) Frank

So do some deer, apparently.
Janet.
Last year a deer charged me, I stepped up onto a rock, then he stopped short of 4 feet of me. I'll never forget those huge ears!

you werent wearing deer scent were you? INgrid