yellow flower

ok, I know this is a long shot, but I can't figure out what this certain plant is. it has small flowers on it, yellow, that kind of look like teeny marigolds. with a 'green'?? spot in the center? they are maybe 3/4 in wide . plant is less than 2 feet tall.
( as a kid we called them buttercups, but I have since been told they aren't)

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/perl/bioview.pl?genspec=rabu&action=View
If not, try looking up marsh marigolds.
-
theoneflasehaddock
nope.
guess I'll add more description. it has very tight SMALL petals in the flowers . it is 'domed' shaped & maybe 1/2 in to 3/4in across
I mentioned marigolds, since they have many many petals & 'kinda' look this (only the marigolds I have seen in pics do not have the shape I am looking for)
I have searched for pics all over the internet of yellow flowers.
*sigh*

How about decribing the flower in some detail, including the actual number of flower parts.
Describe the rest of the plant in some detail also.

this was from memory of seeing it a week ago.
guess it will be a couple months till I see the plant again< & can get a picture> ( but there might not be flowers anymore.) its tightly small yellow petals , & the flower is in a dome shape

wild guess http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=+potentilla+yellow

Bright yellow dome-shaped flowers with green centers sounds very like some sort of Euphorbia to me, perhaps E. polychroma, aka cushion spurge, which should be in bloom right now.
http://tomclothier.hort.net/album/e_polych.htm
pam - gardengal
thanks for the effort. but that is not the one.
those are not dome shaped flowers, not at all like I am trying to describe. the petals are really tight, like someone poured 'yellow' into the top of a thimble, or something.
( I know, i need to get a picture).

What do the leaves look like?
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a