Xeriscapic gardens

Any other city have projects for converting lawns and water-demanding plantings to xeriscapic (water-saving) type? Santa Monica CA is encouraging people to convert water-hog lawns to water-saving native plants.
Of course the So. Calif area is basically a desert, which became a mega-city only by bringing in water, by hook and sometimes crook ("Chinatown"), so water-saving is urgent here.
Just wondered if any other area was experimenting with this.
Persephone
--
A king can stand people fighting but
he can't last long if people start
Most of the Western states are encouraging xeriscaping. In some cases, they are doing so by upping the price of water to astronomical levels........For western Washington and Oregon, which experience droughts most summers as part of the natural climate, government agencies have been encouraging people to allow their grass to go dormant in the summer, since grass is the biggest water hog. In that climate, grass will survive just fine, and will come back green and strong in the fall with the return of the rains. In eastern Washington, where I live, that would be an iffier proposition, although in many cases the grass would survive ok, as long as not too trampled. Here, government agencies are encouraging people to replace their lawns with native trees and grasses as much as possible. But water has been cheap and easily available so long, it will take a drastic price increase to get the majority of people to abandon their lawns and lush (Eastern style) flower beds. I've been gradually abandoning my lawn by planting more drought tolerant trees and shrubs and leaving lawn in semi-shaded areas where it can survive on less water. I understand that the city fathers and even the citizenry in Las Vegas and Phoenix are now frowning upon homeowners who try to maintain lush green lawns. I think there are many grasses native to Southern California, but they wouldn't be green year round, and more than likely would be of the bunch grass variety - so I'm not sure whether people will go for that look or not. But there are many trees that can survive well with no additional water in that climate - native oaks and pines, and eucalyptus and other trees from desert climates around the world. Probably the easiest thing would be to plant those kind of trees and put soft bark under them in place of lawn. <Persephone> wrote in message

from Persephone contains these words:

Didn't Victoria used to talk about this in Phoenix? She hasn't posted for a long time, does anyone know if she's okay?
Janet
I do this in Florida. My soil is just sand, so it is easy to get rid of the lawn - I just let the native plants take over! Now I have a varigated lawn and I don't irrigate. I just handwater my flowers (native ones). Took out lots of ixora bushes, planted palms, sea grapes, live oak, etc. My yard is looking very nice and it's care is easy! Also, my tortoise has lots of good things to eat now.
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:58:05 -0800, Persephone wrote:

Las Vegas........
http://www.snwa.com/html/index.html
http://www.snwa.com/html/land_xeri.html
http://www.snwa.com/html/land_designs.html
http://www.snwa.com/html/land_designs_poolfriendly.html
The following website has lots of good information about Xeriscaping, including a newsletter you can sign up for. http://www.highcountrygardens.com
Robin Alexandria, VA
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:58:05 -0800, Persephone wrote:

Thanks. Have saved.
Persephone