Wrought Iron or Glass Balcony?

I love my garden and I have room to create a balcony space where I will be putting seasonal plants in pots as well as baskets. My dilemma is whether to choose a traditional wrought iron balcony or go for something more modern like a glass balcony. My home is neither old nor new; built circa 1950. I've seen some great look balconies in both iron a glass, with steel or wood decking; wondered which would be most practical and easy for maintenance.
--
Angela Dean

On 18/02/2015 7:12 AM, Angela Dean wrote:

Glass for a balcony on a 1950 house doesn't seem right somehow, but then not knowing your house or how it may have changed in the past 70 years then my advice is probably irrelevant.
Angela Dean wrote:

Do you mean the entire balcony, just the railing, or?
Angela Dean wrote:

Near the ocean don't go near iron as it won't last.
Glass needs regular cleaning or it will look grubby, when sitting down you look through it and it is noticeable.
As for the look on your house I couldn't guess not having seen the house.
--
David

Thanks for your replies. Sorry to not have been so specific; I mean just the railings not the entire balcony. I guess I will go with wrought iron as glass will not really fit in with the rest of my house; I was thinking about the maintenance issues but now having realised how often I would have to clean the glass I think that wrought iron is going to win.
--
Angela Dean

Angela Dean;1011704 Wrote: > Thanks for your replies. Sorry to not have been so specific; I mean just > the railings not the entire balcony. I guess I will go with wrought iron > as glass will not really fit in with the rest of my house; I was > thinking about the maintenance issues but now having realised how often > I would have to clean the glass I think that wrought iron is going to > win.
Hello Angela,
Sounds like a great project, we do durable felt wall hanging pouches made out of recycled plastic bottles for vertical gardens, edible walls etc... which you maybe interested in a small floral living wall or perhaps a herb wall garden on your balcony.
--
wallgarden

Angela Dean wrote:

If you are making or getting the rail made consider hot dipped galvanizing, it will be more expensive but will last much longer with less maintenance.