Writing Contest: How to Repel Dog Owners

Page 3 of 5

If a dog owner lets its animal roam, the owner CLEARLY intended for the animal to annoy other people. There's no reason to show consideration for the owner, who, 99% of the time, will repeat the crime again.

what about the dog?
either way, the owner isn't qualified ot 'own' pets.

People kill all sorts of pests without thinking twice. Rats, mice, mosquitoes, gophers....they're all on someone's list when convenient. Dogs are at the top of MY list, along with mosquitoes.
some people (etc)

If the owner cared enough, they would contact animal control and the pound to claim their property. There are many dogs shot by farmers who need to protect their livestock. Feral cats are annoying too, but not as much as a dog pack. Coyotes are becoming more popular in our town, and they are stalking dogs contained within a private fence.

I grew up on a farm and know about neighbor's dogs. Dad would tie tin cans to the tail of a neighbors dog and send it on it's way. Then he would call the owner to let him know his dog was on the way home. Dogs were not really much of a problem.

caught hte dog without being bitten?
and send it on it's way. Then he

maybe xpost the OP to a dog newsgroup
"Gard@Gard.info" wrote:

Yep, no problem.

The vast majority of dogs will run away, based on my experience. Remember: A dog that roams is just two steps away from being defined as "ferile".

If you can catch the dog to tie it to the garage door and take the tag off, then you would be able to tie tin cans around the tail to scare it off instead. Neighbor's dogs will usually come to me.

Tin cans scare dogs? I'll add that to the list. I just came up with another creative idea. It might be fun to keep an electric hair trimmer on premises, just for dogs. If I catch one, I can shave messages in its fur.
"My owner has sex with children!" "My owner has sex with ME!" "My owner beats his wife!"
Harmless for the dog, fun for me. For the owner: Priceless! The dog won't leave the house for at least a month or two.
Coyotes would be a real problem.
<< Simple, Felice. You catch 'em, you tie them to the handle of the garage

Why are you removing the tags? By doing so you just put the dog in danger of being euthanized and let the owner who is allowing the dog to roam off the hook if they never claim their dog. Pat <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/aussieresc ">Aussies in Shelters</A> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/paltm81324 ">Dakota's Rescue Page</A>

True, but it achieves the goal, doesn't it? The goal is less dogs roaming the neighborhood. The goal is NOT to put an owner ON the hook, which means nothing but a $25 fine, about the same as a parking ticket. That achieves nothing. Paying money does not make someone more considerate of their neighbors.

A $25 dollar fine? Over here in Melbourne Australia - the parking ticket fine is closer to $50 or $80.

AU$ or US$?
i think out animal control charges more than 25 US
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8 &q=Second+Impound+Unspayed+%7CUnneutered++fee%7Cfine

except the tag removal...
Doug Kanter wrote:

That's really nasty!

Why is it nasty? I didn't say "hang the dog from the garage door handle". I said "tie them", no differently than the owner might tie the dog to one of those wire runs in the backyard. You think I should invite the dog in for a cocktail while we wait for the animal control truck to arrive?
Doug Kanter wrote:

The "remove the tags" part is nasty, and probably illegal.
Tie the dog up and call the dog catcher; the owner will be fined after the first offense.
Bob