Writing Contest: How to Repel Dog Owners

Page 2 of 5

Put up a fence for god's sake. Karen

Sorry, Karen, but zoning laws in virtually all cities prevent the construction of a fence where the lawn meets the street.

And might that be because where the lawn meets the street is actually an easement controlled by the city? Try moving the fence back onto your property and don't tell me that fences in front yards in "virtually all cities" are prohibited by zoning laws, cuz it's just not true. And even if your city does have such a law, why not consider planting a dog-unfriendly hedge of some sort, like barberries or rugosa roses? Certainly a lot easier than doing battle with your neighbors to the point where the cops are called or posting signs which beg to be ignored or more likely, willfully disregarded.

Pam, I like barberries, but not 75 of them, which is about what it would take to line my property's edge. Then, I have to trim them, as well as deal with them as I mow. If that happens, the dog owners have stolen TIME from me, something I have little enough of to begin with.
As far as a "petty issue", when you have to spend 15 minutes cleaning your shoes, and perhaps the better part of a day shampooing your carpet, that's not petty. That's a crime.

Next suggestion... get help with your anger issue. You can get meds to help with this obsession over a minor (yes, petty) problem. If you are daily, weekly, or even monthly spending a whole 15 minutes cleaning your shoes and a few hours cleaning the carpet then the time spent trimming a hedge would be minimal in comparison. Karen

You could get help, ma'am. How can you not see that it's pure, delicious fun to mess with dog owners? For that matter, *any* segment of the population that's brainwashed is fun to mess with.
says...

upset over thoughtless idiots who think it's OK for their dog to crap wherever it wants?
I think you might have a "sanity issue" - or maybe you're one of those thoughtless idiots. If you have children, do you allow them to be undisciplined brats?
Doug, if you're home when this occurs, turning on the sprinklers as soon as the dog squats might work. And set them so they cover the sidewalk as well :-).
I do agree that it's not the dogs fault, but the law frowns on shooting the owner. Ah for the days of the 12 gauge loaded wih rock salt. BTW, I've been on both ends of that :-).
Oh yes, the sign: "Doggie-doo is a big fat DON'T!"
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

berlin.de:

[edited]

until the neighbor sues, cuz their kid crashed thier bike into the rose/briar patch.
Certainly a lot

sort of true. but the sign might encourage dog walker to let the poop go on another neighbor's front yard :-)
"Please keep your dog off my grass :-)"
Plus (and this is the important part) a temporary electric fence. One wire, about a foot off the ground, electrified with something like a Red Snap'r #66: <http://www.stockyardsupply.com/page8/
You won't need it electrified for very long. If it's not a very big lawn, you should be able to use wooden stakes for the posts, but you will need to use plastic or porcelain insulators like a real electric fence.
Best regards, Bob
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:09:52 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

First, check the animal control regs so you'll know how far officialdom will go to support you. In fact, some exerpts from the municiple code could be on your sign.
I doubt that 'no dogs, ever, under any circumstances' would be viewed as reasonable.

"Caution: we have a gopher problem here and are using Victor leg-hold traps. Please keep all pets away. No tresspassing."

That sounds interesting. :-)

By "no dogs, ever...", I'm targeting dogs accompanied by humans who (I assume) can read. I can deal with the strays myself.

Oh, I'll just bet you can!
Felice

Simple, Felice. You catch 'em, you tie them to the handle of the garage door, you remove their tags, you call the dog catcher......ba da bing. Doggy gone. What's so hard about that?
There's a sign near me that shows a squatting dog with a red circle and line over it (no dog poop). Here's a link that shows it as well as others http://www.petsignsplus.com/1small3x12orderpg/pooporderpg.html cheers, Jim

Jeez, Doug, that's downright humane. It's not at all how I thought you'd deal with them :)
Felice

You've got me pegged well, Felice! If I lived out in the sticks where I knew a bullet wouldn't hurt people, I'd do what NY state law allows and assassinate the dogs. :-)
Felice,
When he removes that dog's tag, and calls the dog catcher, the owner probably won't be notified. If not adopted, the dog will probably be put to sleep.