Worrysome green stuff

Possibly because of over watering and over fertilizing, my newly planted seedlings now in peat pots are showing signs of green growth at the soil top level. Is this something that can effect the young plants, and if so, what is the best way to get rid of it? They are still in trays under fluorescent lamps, and I just removed the plastic covers.
1) Don't worry TOO much. Keep the covers off, and set up a fan to keep the air moving.
2) You said "over fertilizing". Don't fertilize pots/trays of soil which have nothing growing in them. I know some potting soil contains slow-release plant food. That's something you can't control, unless you buy different soil. But, do NOT add any fertilizer of your own until you see the first one or two sets of true leaves. They arrive after the "seed leaves".
When fertilizing tiny things, use liquid fertilizer, MIXED MUCH WEAKER than the instructions suggest. Since it's often difficult to water tiny things from the top, set the pots in the water, but be attentive. Come back in a half hour and take the pots OUT of the water so they can drain.

Doug Kanter wrote:

You really need that fan too. The same thing happened to me with my first seedlings. I didn't know what to do and had no one to ask. It was a very long night scraping of the green from about eight flats. They turned out all right in the end.
You see some in the nurseries with some green too. Especially when they've been sitting there a while. Why can't I think of the name of it?
Jean Anne Zone 5 OH

There's "damping off" disease, but if I recall, that's a fungus, not visible like the green stuff. However, the dead plants are visible. :-)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Algae perhaps.

USDA Zone 8b
http://rangenet.org/crosswords/wildflowers/index.html