Worms for indoor plants?

I have several very large pots with plants indoors. The soil looks very packed down. I don't really want to replace the soil as it is very messy and dificult in these big pots. I was wondering if putting a few worms in there would help. Is that crazy?

Reply to
Mike C

couldn't hurt...

but it sounds like you need to cultivate that packed soil to allow oxygen to reach the roots. depending on the type of plant -- shallow roots or deep roots -- you need to dig around and loosen the packed soil. that is what is what is meant by "cultivate" in this case.

how about the roots? are they sticking out? need to repot?

Reply to
Persephone

Not a whole lot of help. What's happened is that the organic matter in the soil has oxidized so far that the soil structure has collapsed. Get out the tarp, tip the pot over, pull out the plant, and repot. Yes, I know, somewhere around 30 gallons, it gets kinda tedious, but it isn't really that difficult.

Or air layer the plants and start over.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

I don't think worms be be a whole lot of help either, but if you do put some in anyway, don't forget to feed them. Put edible vegetable stuff on top of the soil or dig it it a bit. Replace it as it disappears.

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander