Thanks

Reply to
RK77

You might get better information at alt.pave.the.earth

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

The clayey soil you moved to your garden (big mistake) should either be removed or amended... I would remove it to another area or just put it back where the paving will commence... I wouldn't bother leveling, the pavers will *grade* and compact that area... you never want a paved area level, unless you like puddles and cracked paving.

Reply to
brooklyn1

so you want to put a patio over the clay? this might not be the best idea because water will drain to the lower part of the garden and if there is clay underneath it will not drain so your patio may be standing in water.

you must let clay DRY OUT completely before work>I've moved the soil to lower part of my garden where i exactly want it

Reply to
dr-solo

I have heavy clay soil too. Be careful working with it when it is wet; that's how you make those adobe bricks. Break it up when it is dry and add some sharp sand and improve the soil with compost or topsoil. Mix well.

Good luck, Laura

-------------- Zone 9 So. California

Laura at theGardenPages

From what I recall, if the sand is too fine, clay particles will fall in between the sand grains and turn cement-like. So it should be a coarse sand.

When I was at the hort show last week, one of the suppliers recommended sawdust - nitrogen issues, I know, but that only takes a couple of years to resolve itself.

Dora

Reply to
bungadora

Silt -----> 30 - 50%

Sand -----> 30 - 50%

5 - 10% compost

Plant rye or buckwheat in the fall or late spring for their extensive root systems for a couple of years to put more organic material in your soil. Avoid chemical fertilizers. They kill soil and cost money.

Reply to
Billy