wood ashes on peony

I heard that wood ashes can be used as a fertilizer on peonies. Has anyone tried this? My neighbors tree drops small sticks into my yard every time the wind blows so I bought one of those yard chimneys and I burn the sticks in that. Can I use those ashes on my peonies?
Karl

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&pwst=1&sa=X&o i=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=potash+peony&spell=1>
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

Small amounts would be beneficial and keep an eye on your pH.