Wisteria roots - Roundup?

Yes, I'm considering the despised Roundup, but don't know if it is effective on deep roots. The nursery doesn't always have good answers; cynical view is that they want to sell stuff.
I had the vines taken out some months ago, and asked the gardener to dig up the roots on each side of back porch. He dug out a big root, and I naively thought that was IT.
Now I am finding more. I have dug up some, but am- not strong enough for all. Besides, they are so invasive, heaven only knows where they have wandered.
Question: Is Roundup effective on root systems? (Note: There is no nearby vegetation that might suffer.)
TIA
Persephone
Add pictures here
✖

I'd try copper nails first into the stump which you now call roots also try to smother it as an option.
Bill
Below deals with roundup.
<http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/wist1.htm
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 01 May 2008 08:11:35 -0700, Persephone wrote:

RoundUp must be applied and absorbed through the leaves, then it will kill the entire plant including the root system. You could take the patience approach, and just keep cutting off any new shoots--it will eventually die and the roots will rot.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 1, 11:11 am, Persephone wrote:

While roundup works well on growing foliage, brush b gone and similar herbicides are quite effective when burshed onto freshly cut stumps and stubs. By fresh I mean one person cuts and the other immediately applies without delay.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 1, 11:11�am, Persephone wrote:

Yes. Roundup works very well on freshly cut roots/stumps
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 01 May 2008 08:11:35 -0700, Persephone wrote:

When my neighbor bought his house it was terribly overgrown with completely out of control wisteria. His nurseryman told him it would take 5 years of digging up the roots to get rid of it.
This is year 5 - it's still coming up (and still trying to come up in my yard). Roundup is a post-emergent herbicide (weeds). A brush killer will knock it back, but it will almost certainly re-emerge.
Sorry!
- Mark
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 01 May 2008 08:11:35 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Well...thanks to all ...I guess <g> ...for the bad news. I've heard it's nearly impossible (five years!!) to take out all the roots, so I guess I'll just bite the bullet. Too late now to put Roundup on freshly-cut roots. Spent many hours 'tother day digging up what I could; now will cover up and pray. (not that Anybody listens to me Up There <g>)
Add pictures here
✖