winterizing lawn sprinkler system

I live on the East Coast, and want to winterize my irrigation system myself instead of paying the company $$ to come out and do it. Unfortunately, I haven't been at home in the past when they winterized, so I have no knowledge base of what they did. I do own an air compressor, and I know part of the procedure is to apply compressed air to the lines to blow out the water.
What I don't know is how much pressure to apply, how to sequence the heads, etc. Can anyone shed any light? Thanks.