winterizing lawn -

I'm heck-bent on eradicating my crabgrass problem this fall and next spring, I've overseeded with my favorite (Rebels) grass seed mix which is coming up nicely under the existing turf, as the crabgrasses are begining to fase and die. In addition, I've planted a new lawn area in a previously undeveloped area which is also thickening like a nice, fine carpet. I'v used no fertilizer as of yet, and trying to avoid using any as I've a ton of homemade compost to put down.

I know in the early spring I'll have to use a crabgrass preventer.

I usually need a lime and ironite treatment in the spring as well, just to get the grass a decent shade of green, I was wondering If I might be better off treating both the existing, and the new turf with either the lime or the ironite, or both now? Is ironite safe for newly-establishing lawns?

Thanks!

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Test the soil in several areas to determine pH -- use lime to help bring it in line but get it down now for next spring. The best thing you can do -- a light dressing of bloodmeal to increase nitrogen, dressings of compost 3-4 times a year, keep an appropriate mowing schedule (3" high, more often in rainy periods, less in dry periods), mulch the clippings back into the lawn, and reseed in autumn and spring (I also do a seeding just before summer heat starts to hit). Foster healthy soil and you will not need chemicals (which, BTW, will do more damage than good).

James

Reply to
JNJ