Winterizing advice for novices

We are looking for specific advice on how to winterize certain plants. This is our 1st home and we landscaped it ourseleves back in July. We are in Zone 4 (upstate NY). We have read that mulch and burlap are the key items to use but we are not sure how much mulch and how tall, thick and tight to apply burlap. We have plenty of left over Hemlock mulch that we purchased back in July. All plants are in mulch areas with garden fabric underneath. Also when do we winterize , 1st frost ? currently temps are 55 deg high

39 low at night....

Some of the plants we have are:

  1. Boxwoods , about 2 ft tall
  2. Dwarf Spruce , about 4 ft tall
  3. Hot Cocoa Roses , about 4 to 5 ft tall
  4. Variegated red twig dogwoods , about 2 ft tall
  5. Colorado blue spruce , about 3 ft tall

I am assuming our other plants (blue star junipers , gold thread cypress) are hardy enough that they dont need burlap....

Any advice & experience would be gladly appreciated.....

Thanks!

Reply to
Jerome

Try to make sure the trees have enough ground moisture before the ground freezes.

Yews? Hardy. My neighbor has 'em.

Burlap needed. Or you could trench them, but I dislike cutting roots.

If the roses are a grafted variety, you definately need to protect the plant above the graft or it will come back from the roots and you don't know what will come up.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Oh, I'm Zone 5.

Reply to