We are looking for specific advice on how to winterize
certain plants. This is our 1st home and we landscaped
it ourseleves back in July. We are in Zone 4 (upstate NY).
We have read that mulch and burlap are the key items to
use but we are not sure how much mulch and how tall, thick
and tight to apply burlap. We have plenty of left over
Hemlock mulch that we purchased back in July. All plants
are in mulch areas with garden fabric underneath. Also when
do we winterize , 1st frost ? currently temps are 55 deg high
39 low at night....
Some of the plants we have are:
1. Boxwoods , about 2 ft tall
2. Dwarf Spruce , about 4 ft tall
3. Hot Cocoa Roses , about 4 to 5 ft tall
4. Variegated red twig dogwoods , about 2 ft tall
5. Colorado blue spruce , about 3 ft tall
I am assuming our other plants (blue star junipers , gold thread
cypress) are hardy enough that they dont need burlap....
Any advice & experience would be gladly appreciated.....