Winter sod in Atlanta

Hi,

I have a home in Atlanta. The lawn pretty much torn up because of the work that has been ongoing on the property. Most of the lawn is just plain soil now. The lawn gets little direct sunlight, maybe a few hours a day. I am pretty bad at maintaining a lawn. I'm frequently out of town, so the lawn should be pretty resillient. I've heard three recomendations from sod placed and from this group:

St. Augstine: Good in the shade, but won't handle the winter. I may not be able to instal it now.

Fescue: Good in the shade, but very delicate. Someone who is frequently away may not be able to keep it alive, especially in the summer.

Zoysia: Good year-round and OK for the shade, but may not be able to install it now.

Are there any other options? I really would like to put something down but I can't figure out what to do.

Thanks,

Josh

Reply to
Josh Kalish

gregpresley

Reply to
Phisherman

I think overseeding the area with winter rye is a good choice......

Reply to
chaz

If you mean annual rye grass, I agree that overseeding with it is a good choice. Winter rye is just too big and couse for a lawn, makes an excellent green manue crop however,

Reply to
FarmerDill