Winter mowing

I never got around to doing a final mow in the fall, and I'm wondering if there would be any benefit or if it would hurt my lawn if I did it now.
It is currently a couple degrees below freezing although last night it went to 10 below (Celsius).

Unlikely to hurt anything, although not all mowers do well in the cold (most are optimized for warm-weather operation, which makes sense).
I just did my final mow / leaf mulch last weekend (I don't like to rake leaves, so I run the mulching mower over them a couple of passes). We were having a warm spell, 'tho -- temps around 5 Celcius.
Unless your grass is taller than 6 inches, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Scalping is no longer a feasible recommendation, anyway.

went
OK as long as grass is no longer frosted/frozen. Even walking on frozen grass can damage it.
pam - gardengal

I don't know about the first sentence but I've walked on many a frozen lawns (without scuffing my feet) and never saw damage to them over the years. I believe the reason is that as long as the root system is well nourished and undamaged, what happens above ground is not that important. Our frost depth was well below the roots and our lawn never seemed to suffer from being frozen.

if
Walking on frozen grass will not harm the HEALTH of the grass, but it can (temporarily) damage the APPEARANCE of the grass. When stepped on, the ice crystals in the leaves puncture the epidermal cells, potentially leaving brown spots.

I'm no authority but that seems to sound possible but in my case, never noticed this to happen. Ofcourse this was just in the case of my lawn so I won't say it can't happen to others. My guess is the general health of the lawn, type of grass, soil type, etc.. probably have a lot to do with what a frozen lawn can withstand. I never had a need nor wanted to cut my frozen lawn. I bet if I did, my neighbors would have thought I was crazy. I don't know if it would hurt to cut the frozen lawn but I don't think I'd do it since not doing it seems to do no harm to the lawn from my experience.
Shindi'al Rhama wrote:

The grass turns brown here in Winter no matter what.

can
ice
I think the discussion was referring to cool season grass (fescue, bluegrass, ryegrass, etc.) which normally stays green during the winter.

the
leaving
I believe ryegrass too will turn brown in the winter unless it is the annul winter rye some use to have a green lawn in cold weather.

Boy, you read better than me. I reread his post and I can't conclude what grass he has.

You have to read between the lines.
Pam - gardengal wrote:

If the ground is wet walking on it will tend to compact the soil.
USDA Zone 8b
<< OK as long as grass is no longer frosted/frozen. Even walking

If you have a nasty patch of centipede grass you'd much rather used for a bush, is frozen grass more vulnerable to selected methods of destruction? zemedelec