Winter cleanup questions...

Hi all... Coupla questions:
1.) Do I need to do anything for newly planted (this past summer) hardy hibiscus to ready them for winter? Cut to the ground? I have a Lord Baltimore and a "clown" I think it's called. The stalks are bare on the LB, but the "Clown" still has leaves and is bushier and not as Cane-like as the Lord Baltimore.
2.) I planted Mexican Primrose this past summer as well, and it's spread pretty impressively in just that short time. It won't travel into my grass if I don't have some sort of barrier on the bed, will it? The flowers are beautiful when it blooms.
Thanks! Lori (zone 5)
Hi Lori. I don't know where zone 5 is but I had hardy hibiscus in southern NJ. I did not have to do anything with them for the winter. They just died back on thier own and then in the spring they just started growing from the bottom again. Just like a new. That is my experience with them. I just love them. Don't know anything at all about a Mexican Primrose.     Hildur

The Mexican primrose is invasive in my zone 7 garden - Southern Maryland. It spreads into the grass but the lawn mower keeps in under control. It has, however spread over and under landscape cloth and blooms happily wherever it wants to. Carolyn
wrote:

LB,
the
grass
are
there are lots of invasive plants here in Mount Pocono.
JoJo sometimes takes his snow shovel to them in July to help him prepare for the snow season.
xoxoxo --MommyBartlo--
wrote:

hardy
the
spread
The cowardly, anonymous pest posting as Mommy Bartlo wrote:

This person does not exist, pest.

The Manual of Herbaceous Ornamentals shows rose mallow to be hardy in zone 5 but it's the coldest zone shown for it. Personally I am a believer in mulch.