Wilting Tomato Plant

I have four tomato plants in my garden. It has been in the upper 80's the last three days here in SW Wisconsin. Three of the four are doing well, but one of the plants, an heirloom, has been wilted the last couple of days. It is even wilted in the morning. The other three wilt just a bit with the sun, but rebound by the next morning. The plant has five fruit on one limb that are about .5"-1" in diameter and still very green. They don't seem to have suffered any ill effects yet.

I've tried providing it with extra water the last couple of days, but it doesn't seem to help by the morning. Does anyone know if it is just the heat or could there be something else affecting the plants?

Thanks

Reply to
bchaguy

It sounds like the classic sypmtoms of a diseased plant. The wilt diseases clog the vasular bundles that carry water and nutrients. I would get it roots and all out of my garden. A test can be performed by taking affected stem material and making a long slanting cut through it and touching the severed ends together and then seperating them, ropey strands are an indicator of the disease. Google up "vascular wilt "

Reply to
beecrofter

Some parasite or disease most likely. Some insects can girdle the base of the plant and that will kill it. But it's toast and you should get rid of it completely.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

More water, more water. If the tips of that plant is wilting, it's probably a virus. Toss it.

Reply to
Bud