Will Virginia Creeper Kill Pines ?

There are Va Creeper vines growing into my pine tress. Should I leave things alone, or rip out the vines ???
I have an abundance of this in my own yard and was just looking for a solution...Here's what I've found.
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/virginia_creeper.htm

things

Well contrary to what that link says about it taking on a tree and eventually killing it, I dunno. I have a lot of Virginia Creeper on my place and lots of pines and Oaks and a lot of my pines have VC in it, as well as a lot of VC growing in and around the shrubs around my house which consists of Gardenia, Nandina, and Azaleas, and have never had a problem with choking back a tree or causing any harm. I used to rip it all out just to prevent having problems until I was told to let it go, it seems to keep itself in check fairly reasonable. Last VC vine I ripped out was well over 15 years ago, and my place while I have a lot of it, and it looks good, is not over run by any means. My zone is ideal for its growth........south central Alabama. Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Thanks Roy for that information. I also have lots of VC and wasn't sure what it did to other plants. Think I'll just follow your lead and let it be...

leave

what
Your original post and subsequent threads have led me to discover that I, too, have been battling this vine. It has to compete with wild grapes and honey suckle in climbing up some Japanese hetzis (sic) in my back yard. It is relatively innocuous and I do not cut it unless it starts climbing them. Frank
Sorry to be a pain, but maybe it isn't a Virginia Creeper after all. The leaf on my vine has 7 points and looks like a seven-pointed maple leaf without the jaggedness. Each leaf is about 6 inches long and 4 inches wide. Somebody id'd it over the phone as a VC, but maybe it isn't !
Thanks for your patience,
On 26 Jun 2004 02:39:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Lecher9000) wrote:

Maybe its Kudzu.........(LOL) Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.