will this sunflower die?

i have been growning sunflowers this year and i went out to water them today when i noticed that one of them had split

'[image:

'

agentelrond

Replant it and mound up soil almost to the level of the break. You might also get a thin strip of duct tape and wrap it (not too tightly) round the stem. Tying it off to a stake would help too. Good luck,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

probably a sunflower stem weevil... if you lash it loosely to that bamboo stake both sides like a splint (use a piece of wide elastic so it doesn't cut in) it will probably heal over and be fine (probably be the strongest part of the stem) but will develop a large gall as the insect pupa matures. I assume you planted many more sunflowers, so I would just leave that one it to see what develops, might be interesting... some sunflower insects are beneficial, they protect the flower head from other insects.

Sheldon

unfortunatley when i returned home from work this evening the top of the flower had completly come away :( :(

Reply to
agentelrond

In my experience, sunflowers have an extremely high mortality rate from all sorts of causes. Best bet is to plant a lot of them. If you have many and only one has died so far, you can already consider yourself to be among the chosen elite. :-) I doubt if 50% of mine make it to adulthood.

Utopia in Decay -- The future is coming to get you.

Cherkauer

Reply to
Kevin Cherkauer

when the heat starts coming on. If it starts wilting, make sure it's because of lack of water. Don't over water it in an attempt to keep it alive. I've seen stranger things happen, so I will hope for the best for you.

Victoria

Reply to
Jangchub

It will most likely sprout two new shoots from the leaf axils just below the break.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

thanx i have a couple in pots so i will see how the rest grow

Reply to
agentelrond

All is not lost!

It will most likely sprout two new shoots from the leaf axils just below the break.

Reply to
agentelrond

They should, although perhaps with smaller flowers. You could prune to just the strongest shoot.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

so far so good my sunflwers are doing really well have one about 4 ft tall now in a pot cant wait to see my first flower

Reply to
agentelrond