will small hydrangea grow indoors?

This spring I bought a small hydrangea (4 inch pot) that was labeled as a new variety designed to stay small. Or something like that. It said it was only hardy to zone 7 (I'm zone 5b). It's been sitting in a pot on the patio all summer. The blooms are now starting to fade so I'm wondering what to do with it. Will it survive being wintered indoors, or do all hydrangeas need a period of dormancy? This is not a florist's hydrangea, unless the labeling was deceptive.

Reply to
Yngver

There is no difference between a "florists" hydrangea and any other except for initial growing conditions - they are essentially the same plants. Woody plants originating from temperate climates seldom make good long-term houseplants. The growing conditions they prefer are just too hard to duplicate indoors - too warm, too dry and yes, they need a period of dormancy. And regardless of how big this little guy is intended to get, a 4" pot is not gonna be satisfactory for much longer.

It really needs to be planted outdoors. Many folks successfully grow hydrangeas in colder climates - you just need to provide adequate winter protection. There are lots of excellent Internet sites that will provide very thorough details on how to go about this. Just do a Google search on "hydrangeas, overwintering".

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

It will not grow inside, not even in a greenhouse as the light reduction by fall will send it into dormancy.

escapee

Thanks. I guess I will have to let it die then because I don't even have much luck overwintering plants that are supposed to be marginally hardy in zone 5, much less one that is for zone 7. I have a hydrangea in the garden that is supposed to be winter hardy here, but it seldom blooms, and I don't have enough garden space to keep planting things that aren't likely to survive. I imagine this hydrangea was meant to be sold as an annual.

Reply to
Yngver