Will leaves falling in my mulch be a problem?

We have lots of perennial flowers in our flower bed. (12 different varieties or so- including bushes and roses, 15'x6' aprox garden) My wife was thinking of putting mulch between the flowers so the weeds would not grow (easier maintenance). I was not sure if that would be a good idea for two reasons. 1. when the leave accumulate in the fall time in our flower bed, it will be difficult to get rid of them (hard to get a rake in there). With dirt flower bet, what ever you can't rake out, it will decompose with the rest of the dirt. And if you leave them in with the mulch, seeds will start growing there next year. 2. will perennial flowers be able to poke through the mulch every spring time? I always thought that mulch is more ideal it you have a simple flower bed or around a tree truck. what do yo think? thanks

Reply to
lbbs

Leaves rot down to make an excellent mulch. Leaf mould we call it in UK. Don't worry about the perennials, they'll be back. If You're really worried about the leaves, grab big handfuls where you can and bag them up to rot down and go back on the garden later. They can also be sucked up through a leaf blower/shredder whatever. Some people pile them up and mow the pile. Some people push them en masse under bushes/shrubs and forget about them. Whichever method you choose, they will be good stuff.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

btw: I want to use red wood much.

Reply to
lbbs

Leaf litter is an excellent soil amendment.

lbbs wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Perennials and bulbs will grow right up through mulch no problem. As for the leaves you can *gently* rake most of them out, the remaining will do no harm but will actually do more good. Rotted leaves are a great soil amendment. I mulch up and dig in some in my flower beds every fall. By spring they are just about all rotted and composted.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN out there!

Reply to
Tom Randy

Really, that can depend on the kind of leaves. The only trees that drop their leaves on my garden beds and borders are the surrounding neighbors' silver maples. These are NOT good to leave on the beds over the winter. They don't break down quickly, they turn into a hard, compacted, slimey mess that interferes with drainage, etc. I remove all the maple leaves from the beds in the autumn, and replace them (where needed) with dry oak leaves that I gather dozens of bags-full from my neighborhood leaf piles (and that I use for composting as well). The maple leaves I haven't cleared away around the garden edges and shrubs are (as I type this) lying in solid, tough layers not even remotely on their way to decomposition. The oak leaf winter mulches are fluffy, permeable, and breaking down nicely.

Best. Tyra nNJ usa z7

Reply to
Tyra Trevellyn

Bark type mulches are not ideal for a perennial bed - compost mulches are much better. Mulches that are comprised primarily of wood products tend to deprive the surface soil of nitrogen which can affect the growth of perennials (much less of an issue with woody plants). Any type of good organic, medium textured mulch will help to supress weeds as well as retain soil moisture and reduce temperature fluctuations. It is no problem to allow leaves to remain on the bed during the winter - they should break down considerably during that period, adding to the soil fertility, and what remains in spring can be cleared away when you do your annual clean up. The perennials will poke easily through a layer of mulch (or leaves - actually a valuable mulch in their own right) when they emerge in spring but it is best not to pile the mulch over the immediate crowns of some, like peonies and hellebores - it can contribute to rot and fungal diseases.

btw, an annual organic mulch is a good idea for ANY planting area - trees and shrubs, a perennial border or even a vegetable garden.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal