Wild Hogs Becoming A Big Problem To Farmers And Gardeners..........

Page 1 of 2
I saw a show on tv several nights ago about the destruction wild pigs are causing in the southern states of the US. It's amazing the amount of destruction they can do in a single night. It seems they are also expanding their territory and heading further north every passing year. In Florida they are getting so bold that they are coming right into town in heavily populated residential areas. Besides the destruction they cause to vegetation, they are very mean and dangerous animals as well. Does anyone in this group have a problem with these nasty critters or a story you would like to relate about them? Not so sure I would like to tangle with one from what I saw on the tv show. They were hunting the hogs with dogs and some of the dogs got tore up pretty good. Although it did look very exciting to hunt them this way. I was also wondering if the meat tastes like domestic pork. When they harvested the hogs on this show, they had the meat processed and donated it to a homeless shelter as not to waste it.
Lets hear your wild hog experiences!
Rich from PA

shouldn't this be cross posted to alt.food.barbecue?

Speakign from experience: Wild pigs do significant damage to pasture and yes, they do rip dogs up very, very badly. Pig hunters use collar chest protectors on their dogs because of the damage that pigs can do. Human pig hunters are probalby worse than the wild pigs. They will trespass at will, cut fences and are generally a bunch of low lifes who farmers do not welcome in their area.

How perceptive of you, through a glass darkly I might add. You have not a clue.

Said the forester who wants to clear-cut everything and replant a monoculture.
Trying to pass for bright, Don?
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the

Always with the ad hominems huh billy?
There is no need for your divisiveness, nor do you have a dog in this hunt.
As for farml comments, I think he knows his "opinion" of hunters is not shared by many farmers as many State Wildlife organizations are working w/ farmers to find hunters to address the growing problem but he must feel it was important to say what and how he did ...or not. I am curious as to how he" knows" pig hunters will trespass at will, cut fences and are generally a bunch of low lifes who farmers do not welcome in their area?

Well no wild pigs yet. However the township every so often allows volunteering hunters, groups of four, to find and track down coyotes. No neighbor is against the coyote hunters here ( at least I know of ). The hunters do trespass at will. The hunters come during the daytime summer on a off hunting season. Many here know who the hunters are. Last year they found two dens with about twenty coyotes each.

, through a glass darkly I might add. You have not a

Always with the ad hominems huh billy?
There is no need for your divisiveness, nor do you have a dog in this hunt.
As for farml comments, I think he knows his "opinion" of hunters is not shared by many farmers as many State Wildlife organizations are working w/ farmers to find hunters to address the growing problem but he must feel it was important to say what and how he did ...or not. I am curious as to how he" knows" pig hunters will trespass at will, cut fences and are generally a bunch of low lifes who farmers do not welcome in their area? ______________________________________
'She' knows what she's talking about because she and her S.O. own a farm where wild pigs are seen in spring and autumn or at other times of the year when drought forces them out of the forest.
She lives in Australia where feral pigs are already a major problem because it's a big country with a sparse population and farmers and others have already found that pig hunters are a similarly major problem.
So, if they are't there yet, expect problem pig hunters coming to a rual locality near you as a result of information sharing round the Net.

We have wild (feral) pigs (Sus scrofa) in Sonoma County and even though we don't have much in the way of typical agriculture, except grapes, environmentalist are upset by the pigs (and the grapes) impact on native flora and fauna. For the most part, the pigs reside in wilderness regions, with rocky hills that are heavily forested. If you read Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma", then you read about him hunting pig in Sonoma County (Dry Creek Valley).
I thought the idea of cross posting to alt.food.barbecue was funny. What do I know?
Don Staples has given advice on forest restoration which is to "strip" cut what you have, and replant a monocrop of trees (one specie) with the intention of selling the wood later. There was no concern for the wildlife or the forest ecology web. Most recently Don was all hot to "summarily execute" Bradley Manning, before he even had a trial to ascertain his guilt. This was 2 days, IIRC, before U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords was shot by a similar nut case, who felt entitled to mete out punishment as he saw fit.
If Gunny wants to defend Staples, I won't try to stop him.
I'm ready, go!
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the

Excuse me, ass hole, but show where your "Strip cut" (never heard of that one) is what I recommend. :You haven't a clue, never had, never will have, typical west coast ass hole. Your monoculture seems to be pot.

Exhibit #3
Does anyone not see Staples' anger management issues, or the imprudence in blindly following his advice?
Visit his forestry site. Notice the clickable links to "assessment, marketing, and sales" and the one non-clickable notice for "Wildlife Management", and nothing for biodiversity.
Even Staples seems to have doubts about his own wisdom when in one of his pityful melancholy monologue he writes, " we are merely the dirty underbelly of the profession, the one's that actually get mud on our boots, what could we collectively know about the profession of forestry. We don't get the strokes, the diamond studded collars, or the "Forester of the Year" awards. All we do is grow trees and manage forests. This site represents the real world of forestry. The archivists will call us a "CULT", or untermenchen, of the real forestry world recorded in the great Halls of Ivory."
Gag, I think I'll go be sick now. (Gunny may call that an ad hominem attack. I call it sarcasm well deserved.)
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the

well done, ass hole, you manage to create your brand of shit out of thin air. You must be heavy into your own product.

and you must be one of those self-hating anal sphincters.
You repulse people with moderate views. You want to kill someone? Go suck on your gun barrel.
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the

It's not worth the band width Billy.

Uh, I'm not sure your the one who should be lecturing me about the field of futility that that is encapsulated by the philosophy of "not wasting your breath". It seems there was a bit of banter about trees in Briton, I don't remember the particulars, and one poor sod set you off, contradicted you, if I remember correctly, and you didn't stop mauling him until you were good and ready. I consider it part of your charm ;O)
But I do take your point, and I think I shall retire for the evening.
Bonne nuit
(pretentious, moi?)
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the

Merely an observation Billy.
about the field

:-)) Now that would have been a lecture as opposed to an observation.

Mais non.
Ah, I am addressing a pot smoking wine drinking defrocked teacher. And an Asstrailer as well.

You and Shelly really should get some new material. Your scatological reprisals are getting old. Tell you what, you stop telling lies about me, and I'll stop telling the truth about you.
Staples, in one of his more "pity full", lachrymonious, maudlin monologues says that he is "merely the dirty underbelly of the profession [forestry], the one's that actually get mud on our boots, what could we collectively know about the profession of forestry. We don't get the strokes, the diamond studded collars, or the "Forester of the Year" awards. All we do is grow trees and manage forests. This site represents the real world of forestry. The archivists will call us a "CULT", or untermenchen, of the real forestry world recorded in the great Halls of Ivory."
What you smell now is the smell of burning martyr. Good performance, Don.
Here's hoping you get that diamond studded collar, the leash that goes with it, a walk in the park everyday, and a big tree, where you can do your business. Don't forget to wipe your muddy boots before you enter the great "Halls of Ivory", or people will know that you are just another dirty mouthed pig.
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the

stuff together, eh, ass hole?