Why did red maple turn green??

What would cause the red leaves of a Japanese Maple to turn green? Is this a permanent change in color??
chlorophyll

My Bloodgood JM always starts our deep red and then turns somewhat green as the summer progresses. As I understand it, the more direct sun they get, the more green they turn. The cycle will repeat each year, so it isn't a permanent change.
Hi,
Actually Vox you have that backwards. The more sun the redder Bloodgood leaves should get. Observe the leaves that are under other leaves and notice that they are greener. The top leaves that get more sun should be and stay redder. As the season progresses though Bloodgoods will bronze (red with a green undercast).
There are other cultivars that hold their red color quite well. Emperor I for instance.
Layne

I'll go out and take a look and get back to you.
] What would cause the red leaves of a Japanese Maple to turn green? ] Is this a permanent change in color?? ]
I assume you are talking about an A. palmatum cultivar.
The different cultivars behave quite differently in terms of color. Did you first see it this spring, with bright red foliage? Cultivars like Chishio and Seigen are bright read for a while after leaf burst before fading to green. As "Vox" points out some cultivars green in direct sun; I have a Shojo that does this. Others, like Chitoseyama, do the opposite: fully shaded leaves turn a deep green, while those in full sun retain good red color.
HTH
-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to snipped-for-privacy@ebayadelka.com

It's probably temporary, meaning the leaves will emerge red again next spring.
My A. palmatum tends to green up a bit by late summer, if the season has been evenly temperate and moist. In years like the current one, where (in Pennsylvania) we experienced a period of heat and drought, the leaves remain red. Toward the end of autumn, regardless of the summertime color of the foliage, the leaves turn a beautiful scarlet before they fall.
--
Brian E. Clark