Why are my tomatoes not ripening?

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 15:03:34 -0400, against all advice, something compelled jeff , to say:

I got two yesterday, and one today. I was worried for a while, but it looks like it's going to be all right.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Oh dear, you poor sumbeetch. Last year you were in harness longer than the previous year. How does it look this year? How looks the afternoon nap situation?

Condolences Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Why thank you, Charlie. Normally when I tell people I only work half a year, I get no sympathy. The ol' 8 to 8 routine, really breaks up the day. This is where I normally talk about the 6 day weeks, and start dragging my leg and howling.

Harvest, for sparking wines will start any day now. I'll soon be getting sticky doing grape samples (tracking sugar, potassium, total acidity, and pH), and the floor of the lab will get so dirty that we'll get tempted to dig furrows and start planting. The winery ain't expecting grapes 'till the end of the month, or early Sept. It's been a cool summer here too, but we had a warm spring, and an early bud break (beginning of March, instead of the middle).

Nice thing about work is that I get a lunch break, that's when I go toes up. That and a cup of coffee, and I'm good for another 6 - 8 hr. I've pulled a few 14 hr. days with this job, but it's nothing like working for yourself.

It'll be the fourth year with these folks. I know the people and the routine. All I have to do is harness up and hang on. Starting to feel like a fire horse.

Reply to
Billy

we are debating something similar in NZ - our post Kyoto climate warming emissions reduction. Seems our govt may be choosing for 15% BELOW 1990 bench mark level by 2020 as out commitment. As it is, we are about 23% ABOVE 1990 levels now.

is calling for 40% reduction on 1990 levels.

As I said on my, aheam, hard hitting and (cough) informative environmental show this afternoon - you put the bullet in the gun, you spin the chamber, you put the gun to your head, you close your eyes, you pull the trigger, and you hope...

rob

Reply to
George.com

Much more on Sea water salinity and Global climate.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

. . . hope that you look silly.

Reply to
Billy

I am enjoying a day off today, and puttering in the garden, and getting a little nervous with the chilly temps over the weekend... My roma tomatoes have ALOT of fruit, but not a single red or even pink tomato as of this morning. My Sweet 100's have produced many MANY fruit, and while they're ripening ever so slowly, at least we're able to get a little harvest out of them (less than 10 each day are ripe on 4 plants)

I also am growing 3 varieties of peppers, Jalapeño, Sweet Italian, and regular bell peppers. the fruit looks great, but nothing is turning red

Is anyone else in MA or NH having this issue? I know we have a short growing season but this is just crazy. Hopefully the warm-up this week will get some ripening action going... otherwise it's going to be "Fried green tommy-toes anyone??" (in which case I'll need a recipe)

Reply to
stephengor

Heck, I'm in California, north of San Francisco, and we're having this issue.

Reply to
Billy

ripen slowly, and then fall to fungus, sun split, and all sorts of things. That's why I pinch my suckers, and keep only a few producing shoots going instead of letting the whole plant turn into Audrey.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I wouldn't doubt that I'm doing something to retard my tomatoes (although we had enough to make a significant addition to our salad last night). My best producers so far (not saying much) have been the Koralics and the Stupices. But I can't take all the credit for the lack of ripe tomatoes, see:

temps nurture crops

Reply to
Billy