Why are my tomatoes not ripening?

Page 2 of 2

Beats me. Mine are just staying green. I have had exactly 2 yellow pear ripen and one only because I picked it green and set it on my kitchen counter for a week. The rest have completely stopped growing. Plenty of flowers, new tomaotes appear but all three of my plants have just stalled out.
Paul
Every Man wrote:

got rip. I picked twenty and put them on the kitchen counter and they still didn't get ripe. This year we had so much rain it killed the tomatoes I planted so I don't have any.

On a similar note:
After typing that message I got busy pruning dead leaves and dying shoots. I noticed that many of my yellow pears would drop off the vine if I just touched them. So I removed about 30 tomatoes, all green, that were ready to drop. I have no idea if they will ripen indoors. One did, so I have hope.
So is this a sign that the plant was going to drop its unripe fruit? Does this sound like a sign of stress?
Paul
Paul M. Cook wrote:

I had several I thought were about to get blossom end rot, they were completely green. 10 days later in a bag with a banana (ethylene gas) and they were red enough to eat.
On the ones still on the vine, the largest is just now getting redish.
Jeff

Fried or pickled green tomatoes still an option.
<http://southernfood.about.com/od/tomatoes/a/green_tomatoes.htm
Just watch out for some of them ;))
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080391/
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 15:03:34 -0400, against all advice, something

I got two yesterday, and one today. I was worried for a while, but it looks like it's going to be all right.
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

Heck, I'm in California, north of San Francisco, and we're having this issue.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.

In my experience with tomatos, if too many fruit get growing at once, they ripen slowly, and then fall to fungus, sun split, and all sorts of things. That's why I pinch my suckers, and keep only a few producing shoots going instead of letting the whole plant turn into Audrey.
Steve

I wouldn't doubt that I'm doing something to retard my tomatoes (although we had enough to make a significant addition to our salad last night). My best producers so far (not saying much) have been the Koralics and the Stupices. But I can't take all the credit for the lack of ripe tomatoes, see: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090801/ARTICLES/908019974 Cool temps nurture crops