Who regulates lawn services? (ChemLawn)

If they have no scruples, then they probably also believe in the old adage that there is no such thing as *bad* publicity.

"Bad" publicity puts your name in front of people who haven't heard it before. "Bad" publicity lets people know that someone does the service that they do. "Bad" publicity raises awareness of you in the market place.

The only way this "bad" publicity will hurt them is if existing customers cancel their contracts (which they probably can't). The *bad* publicity is likely to get them new customers. Why? Because not everyone will be sympathetic with the protagonist in our story. There will be people out there who'll say, "This guy was an idiot to plant his vegetables so close to the property line. You know, I need help with my lawn. I think I'll call them."

If you're going to take this into the court of public opinion, before you give the company _any_ publicity, you need to raise awareness about the harm their sprays do, and how the alternatives are less expensive, easier, and more effective. You have to get the court of public opinion to get on your side before you give the company publicity.

As long as there is a significant number of people out there who still believe in better lawns through chemicals, the *bad* publicity you give the company isn't going to hurt them, nor will it help you. It'll do nothing for you, and help them become better known. Free advertising thanks to you.

Before taking anything to the court of public opinion, you need to stop and think about how other people think. There are plenty of people out there who don't think logically. There are plenty of people who have opinions other than you. There are plenty of people who'll get the wrong message unless you know how to spin things right.

You can't just toss a couple of facts out there, and hope people will come to the right conclusion. You must prep them to come to that conclusion long before you reveal the facts of the situation. And in this case, every time people go to the Home and Garden sections of retailers, they see plenty of chemicals. The court of public opinion is being swayed to believe that chemicals are normal. You have to change that nearly completely before your complaint against ChemLawn will gain enough favor in the court of public opinion to actually hurt ChemLawn. A majority opinion isn't enough. Those with the minority opinion are still potential customers for ChemLawn, and your case is not *bad* publicity. It's advertising for them.

Talk to the neighbors. Talk to the company. Report the company to any agency that will listen. But don't take it to the court of public opinion, and don't use that as a threat when talking to the company.

Instead, if you really feel the need to address the court of public opinion, start by showing the benefits of not using chemicals. In a few years, public opinion may shift, and ChemLawn will loose customers. Don't just jump out there and start giving them free advertising now.

Reply to
Warren

Chemlawn got me a few years ago, here's what happened:

Tveter

Reply to
Don Tveter

It only requires one judge to issue an injunction, which stops the current practice in its tracks on a specific piece of property. The rest is gravy.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That would make me as bad as ChemLawn, and I'd have to kill myself.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The suits care about profit. It would cost more to hire non-idiots, but handing down a memo is almost free.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Good for the suits, but not you and I, and our children. The idiots they hire can't read, so a memo is pointless.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Perhaps your neighbor should have treated his own lawn, then your entire garden may have been ruined.

Reply to
Hound Dog

see the

(I'm not

that in court

situation like

evidence is

would have

witnesses... but

could have

have the

back to

license,

suspended for a

fullfill their

A number of years ago, An old man across the street sprayed a shrub in his neighbor's yard he didn't like with herbicide. A tree sprayer hired by the neighbor noticed the damage, and after questioning the neighbor, reported the action to the state E.P.A. They came out and gave a stern talking to the old man.

Would you really consider anything grown after being sprayed with

2,4,d to be something you'd feed to your family. I'd consider the entire area to be contaminated, requiring replacement of the soil before use for a vegetable garden.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

While entirely sympathetic to your outrage, perhaps it's time to view this in the "stuff happens" category. I would certainly get in touch with both the lawn service and the neighbor to report your distress, and to do everything to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I don't think it's a big enough incident to have "10 on your side" do a feature, unless it's a data point in a group of similar offenses, and as you say, not significant enough to sue. In fact, reading the thread, I went through stages of ballistic rage, and then resignation myself. I hope your and your neighbors are on good enough terms to make them (nearly) as concerned as you about this problem.

Reply to
Frogleg

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this kind of thing outrageous.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Aside from the licensing issue, you might also complain to the Better Business Bureau.

Reply to
Chelsea Christenson