Who regulates lawn services? (ChemLawn)

Page 2 of 2

One thing I was unclear of from your post: did you actually see the ChemLawn guy spraying or do you just have a strong suspicion? (I'm not doubting that it happened as you say it did, but I also know that in court you'd need more than strong circumstantial evidence in a situation like this.)
If you have the equipment and can estimate when they'll be returning, it might be worth setting up something that would videotape them completing the service.
A friend of mine used to use our local ChemLawn company to do his yard. His neighbor worked for the FBI. One day while the neighbor was working at home he saw the ChemLawn guy drive up, get out of the vehicle, write up a bill, and place it on the customer's door. He never actually did any kind of service. Rather than drop the company upon finding out about this, he arranged some video equipment he had to tape when the company came out the next time and had a videotape showing a repeat of the previous occurence.
It's amazing how quickly one can get a refund for all money paid when the company is presented with clear video evidence.
Tony
Tony wrote:

I have strong circumstantial evidence, but IMHO physical evidence is stronger than the testimony of one eye witness. Ideally, I would have videotape, or physical evidence plus a half-dozen eye witnesses... but if I'd known ahead of time that this was going to happen I could have confronted the guy.
I like the idea of catching him on video next time, but I don't have the means to do that. I may try to find out when they are coming back to this neighborhood and plan to be home that day.
Meanwhile, I can complain to whoever issued their business license, franchise, pesticide license, etc. If any of these are suspended for a while, they could lose a lot of customers when they can't fullfill their season-long lawn service contracts.
Thanks, regards, Bob

court
Although it won't help in your present dilemma, get in touch with your county & state legislators and see if anyone's already discussing the idea of forcing the lawn spray idiots to give neighbors 2-3 days' notice before they treat lawns. It's gone back and forth in my county legislature. Unfortunately, the chemical companies are still playing golf with the right people in government, but we're closing to having a law here.

see the

(I'm not

that in court

situation like

evidence is

would have

witnesses... but

could have

have the

back to

license,
suspended for a

fullfill their

A number of years ago, An old man across the street sprayed a shrub in his neighbor's yard he didn't like with herbicide. A tree sprayer hired by the neighbor noticed the damage, and after questioning the neighbor, reported the action to the state E.P.A. They came out and gave a stern talking to the old man.
Would you really consider anything grown after being sprayed with 2,4,d to be something you'd feed to your family. I'd consider the entire area to be contaminated, requiring replacement of the soil before use for a vegetable garden.
Bob

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this kind of thing outrageous.

The OP's state environmental agency can refer him to a laboratory which can test plant samples for the presence of the suspected chemicals.
If they use over the counter stuff, no license are needed.

At least in New Jersey, it's the state department of environmental protection that enforces pesticide and herbicide application regulations. When I was in college, I got a job for a while in the new Jersy Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Environmental Quality, Department of Pesticide Control in the Office of Enforcement as an inspector. Now that was a mouthful!!!!
zxcvbob wrote:

Chemlawn got me a few years ago, here's what happened:
http://www.dontveter.com/howtogrow/chemlawn.html
Don Tveter
The Pattern Recognition Basis of Artificial Intelligence

Perhaps your neighbor should have treated his own lawn, then your entire garden may have been ruined.
zxcvbob wrote:

Aside from the licensing issue, you might also complain to the Better Business Bureau.