White powder on peony leaves

My peonies bloomed decently this year, but now (long after the flowers have faded), the leaves of all of my plants have a white powder coating them. Perhaps some sort of mildew? Should I be doing anything special, or just trim them down to the ground in the fall as I typically do?

Reply to
MPost

It's Powdery mildew. Not much you can do now. cut down but do NOT add to the compost heap. In the spring when the leaves come out spray with a good fungicide. Read it's lable before using and follow directions. I'm going to try "Organicide" next year myself.

Reply to
Tom Randy

Yes, probably some kind of mildew. Put the trimmings into the trash. More sun and ventilation will help prevent fungus. There are anti-fungal products you can use (next year) such as "Messenger."

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
MPost

You can prevent the buildup of powdery mildew with a formula from the kitchen. Combine 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a few drops of dishwashing liquid and add to a gallon of water. Apply weekly.

Probably not enough time left this year to see if it helps. I'd just cut it down and watch for it next year.

Reply to
James

You could do it now or wait until they start pooping out. That's a garden technical term.

;)

Reply to
Tom Randy