White papery leaves on tomatoe and celery seedlings

Two years ago I grew tomatoes on the bathroom windowsill. The seedlings soon developed some leaves which became papery and white and the plants had to be discarded. Last year I disinfected the windowsill and tried again, same result. This year I am growing my tomatoes elsewhere but am growing celery on the bathroom windowsill and the seedlings are suffering the same fate. Does anybody know what is wrong and how to fix it?
--
gleb

gleb wrote:

Um, what have you been eating for dinner... if you were a tomato plant in your terlit you'd shrivel up and die too! LOL

Too much light for young plants? Is this a south facing window?
Otherwise inspect top and bottom of leaves with magnifier. Look for fungus or insects.
--
Dan Espen

Dan Espen wrote:

More likely too little.

I'm more familiar with too little light causing yellow leaves. Not to argue though. The main point is the OP should give more info.

--
Dan Espen

Dan Espen wrote:

yep
Thanks for all your comments. Have moved celery to a north facing window in another room. Will report if there is an improvement.
--
gleb

As the plant develops it should be able to take more light. East or west is better than north.
--
Dan Espen

North is only good for "still life" painters. South is best, West is good, East is OK.
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
gleb;954626 Wrote: > Two years ago I grew tomatoes on the bathroom windowsill. The seedlings > soon developed some leaves which became papery and white and the plants > had to be discarded. Last year I disinfected the windowsill and tried > again, same result. This year I am growing my tomatoes elsewhere but am > growing celery on the bathroom windowsill and the seedlings are > suffering the same fate. Does anybody know what is wrong and how to fix > it?
The texture of the leaf becomes papery and dry when the watery lesions dry out. Over time, they will become black or yellow and when fully dried out, they will be a white or light brown color. Read tomato '*plant care*' (http://tinyurl.com/839pq5m ) article for better knowledge for growing tomatoes.
--
allen73