White papery leaves on tomatoe and celery seedlings

Two years ago I grew tomatoes on the bathroom windowsill. The seedlings soon developed some leaves which became papery and white and the plants had to be discarded. Last year I disinfected the windowsill and tried again, same result. This year I am growing my tomatoes elsewhere but am growing celery on the bathroom windowsill and the seedlings are suffering the same fate. Does anybody know what is wrong and how to fix it?

Reply to
gleb

Um, what have you been eating for dinner... if you were a tomato plant in your terlit you'd shrivel up and die too! LOL

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Too much light for young plants? Is this a south facing window?

Otherwise inspect top and bottom of leaves with magnifier. Look for fungus or insects.

Reply to
Dan Espen

More likely too little.

David Hare-Scott

I'm more familiar with too little light causing yellow leaves. Not to argue though. The main point is the OP should give more info.

Reply to
Dan Espen

yep

David Hare-Scott

Thanks for all your comments. Have moved celery to a north facing window in another room. Will report if there is an improvement.

Reply to
gleb

As the plant develops it should be able to take more light. East or west is better than north.

Reply to
Dan Espen

North is only good for "still life" painters. South is best, West is good, East is OK.

Reply to
Billy

The texture of the leaf becomes papery and dry when the watery lesions dry out. Over time, they will become black or yellow and when fully dried out, they will be a white or light brown color. Read tomato '*plant care*'

article for better knowledge for growing tomatoes.

Reply to
allen73