White House to Plant Organic Vegetable Garden

Page 1 of 2
HA...even those at the "top" are scamblin' on the bandwagon!!!
Note to ChemicalHeads........see the word "organic" ?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/dining/19garden-web.html?ref=dining
"While the organic garden will provide food for the first family’s meals and formal dinners, its most important role, Mrs. Obama said, will be to educate children about healthful, locally grown fruit and vegetables at time when obesity has become a national concern.
In an interview in her office, Mrs. Obama said, “My hope is that through children, they will begin to educate their families and that will, in turn, begin to educate our communities.”
Twenty-three fifth graders from Bancroft Elementary School in Washington will help her dig up the soil for the 1,100-square-foot plot in a spot visible to passers-by on E Street. (It’s just below the Obama girls’ swing set.) Students from the school, which has had a garden since 2001, will also help plant, harvest and cook the vegetables, berries and herbs. "
http://sustainablog.org/2009/03/18/white-house-to-plant-organic-vegetable-garden /
Charlie
Add pictures here
βœ–
It could be one of the last organic gardens...
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875
Section 3 of H.R. 875 defines what type of establishments would be subject to the regulations in this legislation. It that section, a "food production facility" is defined this way:
The term β€˜food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.
So that would include.....
*All organic farms *All small farms *All family farms *Even small family gardens if you sell any produce to your neighbor at all
If you read this bill, you will see that it gives the government the power to regulate what is "safe" farming, and therefore if organic farmers are not using enough herbicide on their plants to be "safe" or they aren't following the same "quality control" procedures as the big guys they could be instantly put out of business.
H.R. 875 was introduced by Democrat Rosa DeLauro in February whose husband, Stanley Greenburg, works for Monsanto. Go figure...
Charlie wrote:

http://sustainablog.org/2009/03/18/white-house-to-plant-organic-vegetable-garden /
Add pictures here
βœ–
Arrrgh, brain hurts. No wonder laws get passed by congress that no congressperson has read. Contact local representatives to allow small farms (family farms) to continue. Small farms could post all soil amendments and treatments to plants to allow for informed consent, otherwise it is Alice in Wonderland time again.
This gleaned from the discussion around "Q&A on H.R. 875: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009": Q. will this bill regulate private gardens?
A. Not explicitly but review Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942), of a United States Supreme Court decision interpreting the Commerce Clause. Under this decision a farmer growing wheat for himself with no intention to sell it at market was deemed in violation under this interpretation.
wiki - "Farmer Roscoe Filburn argued that since the excess wheat he produced was intended solely for home consumption it could not be regulated through the interstate Commerce Clause. The Supreme Court rejected this argument, reasoning that if Filburn had not used home-grown wheat he would have had to buy wheat on the open market. This effect on interstate commerce, the Court reasoned, may not be substantial from the actions of Filburn alone but through the cumulative actions of thousands of other farmers just like Filburn its effect would certainly become substantial. Therefore Congress could regulate wholly intrastate, non-commercial activity if such activity, viewed in the aggregate, would have a substantial effect on interstate commerce, even if the individual effects are trivial."
Therefore, according to SCOTUS, Roscoe Filburn was not at liberty to provide for himself but had to go to the 'open market' and purchase what he was entirely capable of growing for himself more cheaply.
This is how private gardens can get roped into being subject under FSA purview. By the above interpretation, since you're growing more of your own food in a garden for yourself, you're affecting 'interstate commerce' by not buying as much food from your 'interstate' supplied grocer, lowering demand and thereby depressing 'interstate' prices. You risk being at fault for having overtly done nothing but try to feed yourself by growing your own food!
Arrrgh. I'm glad we have a messiah in the White House.
-----

--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

Add pictures here
βœ–
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875&version=ih&nid=t0%3Aih%3A710
SEC. 405. CIVIL AND CRIMINAL PENALTIES.
(a) Civil Sanctions-
(1) CIVIL PENALTY-
(A) IN GENERAL- Any person that commits an act that violates the food safety law (including a regulation promulgated or order issued under the food safety law) may be assessed a civil penalty by the Administrator of not more than $1,000,000 for each such act.
(B) SEPARATE OFFENSE- Each act described in subparagraph (A) and each day during which that act continues shall be considered a separate offense.
so, by not putting chemicals into your garden, it will be possible to be fined $1,000,000. if you grow an edible plant on your property the argument could easily be made that you are technically under this jurisdiction. THis is what the bill states and you can bet $1,000,001 that Monsato (or whoever else Rosa Delauris is bending over for) will pay for the legal cases against any little person who challenges this.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875&version=ih&nid=t0%3Aih%3A836
SEC. 506. REGULATIONS.
The Administrator may promulgate such regulations as the Administrator determines are necessary or appropriate to perform the duties of the Administrator.
"We'll take any measure what so ever to ensure that you are putting chemicals into your garden."
what in this bill ISN'T good for Monsanto? The fact that the company with which Stanley Greenburg is paid from Monsanto to represent, will also be paid to sway the opinion of the advisory committee. So if the congress woman's husband is taking kickbacks from Monsato (but not "working" for them) - you can bet that she too is receiving generous benefits too, and America will become a dictatorship giving one guy (or the way the money flows) control over what any American is allowed to grow and eat.
Val wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
<Charlie> wrote:

I don't know about you, but I found that to be kind of creepy. I mean, sure, organic gardens are the way to go, but the whole "child propaganda" concept is a bit frightening, even if it is well intentioned.
Sort of reminds me of those kindergarteners and their political singing, something else which was rather creepy.
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–

It begins with the parents. Government is a lousy baby sitter.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Problem is, there are people who oppose something simply because of the name. You find them on both sides of the fence, though lately the neoCons seem louder, at least to me. Sort of religious zealots of any stripe: "I have the ONE TRUE RELIGION, and the rest of you heathens are going to HELL!!!" Easier than engaging one's brain I guess. Best ignored. I've got bigger worries, like who did my heirloom Bok Choi have a dalliance with one summer when I wasn't looking, and can I get the stray genes back out of the pool.
Blessed Be,
βœ–

As far as unwanted genes in the gene pool, that could take decades to get them back out. Easier to try and replace it.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
βœ–
It should begin with the parents but, it doesn't. I am 65 and I have taught more kids about gardening, not that I am that great, and many of them have learned and taken it into their lives as adults. Some did convince their parents to try it but mostly not. It provided some fun and some cash for a few over the years. Have a whole new crop now that I am planting in containers. The kids, mostly new ones in the last two years, they are delighting in finding things to plant in.

Add pictures here
βœ–

You must be related to Mandy Rice Davies.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Obviously it's been a long time since you saw the early episodes of Sesame Street.

One man's 'political singing' is another man's 'hegemony'.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"FarmI" wrote:

Didn't watch the show as a child; I rode my bike around (unsupervised and without a helmet!), played in the dirt (digging holes was a favorite activity) hung out at the library listening to records or reading books, skateboarded, went to the beach, played army with realistic looking toy guns, you know, normal things kids are supposed to do when they are allowed to be KIDS and not treated as commodities to be molded and controlled by the party in power.
My point was that injecting social engineering by targeting the most vulnerable, ie our children, is a very dangerous thing to do, for so very many reasons. That this isn't readily apparent to everyone is even more disturbing, but that is a sign of the times we live in today.
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–

You think gardening is propaganda? Gardening requires the use of arithmetic to determine how many plants can be alloted to a given area (geometry), or how much fish emulsion per quart or 5 gallons (algebra). Gardening requires monitoring of plants and soil for moisture content, crowding by weeds, and insect predation (observation, and biology). Gardening involves, classification of soil composition (geology) as well as pH (chemistry), classification of soil organisms and their interactions with each other and the plants (ecology), classification of beneficial, and harmful insects (biology), dealing with animals that may damage a garden (cats, dogs, raccoons, gofers, jays, ect.: ecology and zoology) classification of chemicals (e.g. K, P, and N) as nutrients (chemistry, botany, physiology), why we eat certain plants (human physiology, nutrition, health), how to prepare the plants for eating (culture, nutrition, health), countering risks of working in full sun on hot days (physiology and health), and the importance of exercise (health).
Other than that, it is a complete waste of time.
Social engineering? You may want to check out B. F. Skinner's book, "Walden Two", although it may set your "free will" conceits on edge.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
βœ–
In article

I'd add sociology as interaction with others is increased. Who wanted a piece of that plant ? Wonder if I can get some of neighbors to weed the pachysandra ? Win Win .
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
βœ–

Whoops. Definitely sociology and team work.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
βœ–
"Billy" wrote:

No, but thank you for completely (deliberately?) mis-interpreting the point I was trying to make in order to make yours.
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–

propaganda" concept is a bit frightening, even if it is well intentioned." - Jon Danniken

How's your garden doin'? (Hint, hint)
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
βœ–

Francisco when she was 7 years old. A practice no longer condoned for children. Times have changed, if you hadn't noticed.

Philip Morris Companies Inc.), hustling crap food to kids by making then brand conscious by means of cartoons, I'd agree. Foods like
G-L € G.I. Joe Action Stars - Ralston (1985) € Ghostbusters Cereal - Ralston (1988) € Ghosterbusters II Cereal - Ralston (1989) € Go Lean Cereal (Crunch) - Kashi € Golden Crisp (formerly known as Sugar Crisp) - Post Cereals (1949-Present) € Golden Grahams - General Mills € Golden Nuggets - United Kingdom - Nestlι € Golden Puffs - Malt-O-Meal € Good Friends Cereal (fiber cereal) € Gorilla Munch - Nature's Path € Granola - Kellogg's (1900s) € Granula - First manufactured Breakfast Cereal invented by James Caleb Jackson in 1863. € Grape Nut Flakes - Post € Grape-Nuts - Post Cereals € Gremlins cereal - Ralston (1984) € Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs - Ralston (discontinued) € Golden Grahams - General Mills (1970s-Present) € Guardian Cinnamon with a hint of vanilla flavour - Canada - Kellogg's € Guardian Original with a hint of maple flavour - Canada - Kellogg's € Halfsies - Quaker Oats (1980s) € Hidden Treasures - General Mills (1993-1994) € High School Musical Cereal - Kellogg's/Disney (2008) € Homer's Cinnamon Donut Cereal - Kellogg's (c.2001) € Honey Bunches of Oats (1989) - Present € Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds € Honey Bunches of Oats with Bananas (2004-2005) € Honey Bunches of Oats with Peaches (2005-Present) € Honey Bunches of Oats with Strawberries (2002-Present) € Honey Bunches of Oats with Chocolate Clusters (2008-Present) € Honey Bunches of Oats with Cinnamon Clusters (2006-Present) € Honey Bunches of Oats with Vanilla Clusters (2007-Present) € Honey Bunny € Honey Buzzers - Malt-O-Meal € Honeycomb - Post Cereals (1965-Present) € Honey Cups € Honey-ful Wheat - Mom's Best Naturals € Honey Graham Life - Quaker Oats (2004)- € Honey Graham Oh's - Quaker Oats € Honey Graham Squares - Malt-O-Meal € Honey Nut Cheerios - General Mills € Honey Nut Clusters - General Mills € Honey Nut Corn Flakes - Kellogg's - (1981-Present) € Honey Nut Shredded Wheat - Post € Honey Nut Toasty O's - Mom's Best Naturals € Honey & Oat Blenders - Malt-O-Meal € Honey Rice Krispies - Kellogg's - (1996-Present) € Hot Wheels - Ralston - (1990) € Hulk Cereal - Post (2003) € Hunny B's - Kellogg's/Disney (2002-2006) € Ice Cream Cones - (1987) (Limited edition availability in 2003) € Jurassic Park Crunch - General Mills (1997) [3] € Jets - General Mills (c. late-1950s to early-1970s) € Just Right - Kellogg's (1990-2007) € Kaboom! - General Mills (1969-Present: Limited Distribution) € Keebler Cookie Crunch Cereal - Kellogg's (2008) € King Vitaman - Quaker Oats (1970-Present) € Kix - General Mills (1937-Present) € Koko Krunch - Nestlι - (Asia) € Krispy Kritters 1960s - 1980s General Foods € Krumbles-Kellogg's (1913-1973 [approx]) € Krunchios (1989 [approx]) € Krusty-O's A fictional breakfast cereal, one of the many fictional products featured in The Simpsons. This cereal was produced in limited quantities and sold at 7-Eleven convenience stores as a promotional item for The Simpsons Movie. € Kung Fu Panda Crunchers cereal - Kellogg's/DreamWorks (2008) € Life - Quaker (1960s-Present) € Low Fat Granola Cereal - Sunbelt € Lucky Charms - General Mills
to mention a few. Empty calories of starch and sugar until milk and fruit are added. This is well documented brain washing and social engineering of the worst sort. The junk food industry (see above and others) spend at least $10 Billion/year on advertising (<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/06/AR20051 20600671.html>) to "mold and control" young minds, that believe what a cartoon tiger tells them.
Most kids don't read or watch the news, so the kids who will be most affected, will be the inner city D.C. kids who participated and their immediate friends that they share their excitement with (if any). In the "Heartland", the event will perhaps be a sixty second "current events" item in school, and quickly forgotten.
I am no fan of Obama. He is just another politician in my book. He wouldn't have gotten where he is now, if he weren't. He is simply soooooo much better than "The Worst President Ever" who preceded him. So where has the "party in power" treated children "as commodities (usually a raw material or primary agricultural product that can be bought and sold) to be molded and controlled"?
I hope your not just a whining apologist for "The Worst President Ever", who has decided to forget that the last eight years of deregulation, borrow and spend, turning America into an immoral police state, and welfare for the rich (hogs in a trough), that has gotten us into the freakin' hole that we are in now.

Today's phrase L'ETAT, C'EST MOE: All the worlds' a stooge
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
βœ–
"Billy" wrote:

You know, Billy, I am at a point in my life where I don't make any time for people who use personal information I provide about myself to denigrate me, regardless of how insignificant and light-hearted you may consider it to be.
Well, actually, I did make time to respond, so that part is not entirely accurate.
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–