White Cedar Garden Benches and Furniture

White Cedar Garden Benches and Furniture Rocky Top offers a full line of indoor and outdoor log furniture, along with custom and stock log railing sections. Members of the Log Homes Council. Each piece is made from White Cedar. http://www.healthhuman.com.cn/Garden-Bench.htm
In article

nextag.com or pricegrabber.com will give comparative prices for the product that you are looking for.
--

Billy

Billy wrote:

A couple of years ago I needed a 5" X "5" post... all of the of the lumber yards and big box hardware stores in the NY Capital area told me no such size lumber existed. They told me only 4" X 4" or 6" X 6" posts were available... I knew this to be BS because on Long Island 5" X 5" posts were readily available, they are usually used for gate posts. With a bit of detective work I found this wonderful cedar lumber mill operation, great cedar funiture and products arte very reasonable prices... if they don't have it they'll make it. Let your fingers do the walking. http://www.longlumber.net
In article

Was it cheaper than buying a 6" X 6"?
--

Billy

Yes, by quite a bit. And it's white cedar, not the typical pressure treated found at lumber yards. And I had a choice of whatever length, and whether I wanted full dimensional (rough/hairy) or finished ( 1/2" smaller and planed smooth), I chose the full dimensional. You're probably thinking why not a 6" X 6" post, but this is a post for mounting a cast iron farm bell that is cast for a 5" post. suppose I could have had a larger post custom planed down but that would have cost more than the post, or I could have cut down the one end to fit the bell casting but that would have looked out of proportion. The point is that if one looks around locally they can probably find wood products of better quality than anything on the net. They were also very accomodating, they even carried it out for me and secured to my roof rack. If anyone in the NY Capital region is in the market for anything white cedar Longs Lumber is the place... looking around their huge furniture showroom was very enjoyable.
The one thing I neglected to think through was how to mount the bell after I set the post... the bell weighs 54 pounds... I ended up building a small scaffold... climbing a 6' wooden step ladder while carrying a 54 pound bell and then lifting it overhead is near impossible... had I to do it over I'd have placed the post closer to the deck. Bell:
http://i26.tinypic.com/mhaihk.jpg

Looks nice.
What about mounting the bell *before* setting the post?
Of course this a little after the fact, eh?
Charlie
On May 9, 12:41�am, Charlie wrote:

I did mount the bracket to the post with those three bolts before setting the post. But the bell just sits balanced on the bracket, not really attached except by it's own weight, so unless you're a circus performer strongman who does balancing acts it really needs to be set atop the bracket after the post is set. I suppose I could have waited for someone to give me a hand lifting the bell, but I was by myself that day and just didn't have patience, I wanted to hear that bell ring. It's a wonderful bell, rings louder and clearer than I expected. They sell cast aluminum copys but I doubt they are as nice as this cast iron model.

My suggestion was therefore based upon my ignorance of the mounting arrangement. Thanks for the set-me-straight.
Kinda sucks, at least I have found, that the body doesn't perform nearly as strongly or gracefully as in decades past. It oftimes takes a disaster or near-disaster to realize new limitations. :-)
My wife's grandparents had one of those bells and it had a beautiful tone, in fact nearly every farmstead had one when I was a kid. You are fortunate.
I cannot imagine a cast aluminum bell being anything other than decorative.
Ring On Charlie

About 35 miles south of here near the Del. Memorial bridge some folks had a Iron circle about 3 feet in diameter hanging. It looked like 4 inches of iron sort of like a wagon wheel. Never heard it but it was something to see. Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA