White Birch

Hi -- Do all Betula papyrifera grow as multi-stemmed trees? I like the look of the trunk divided into 3 stems, gives the crown a fuller look. So, does one plant the 'Paper White' Birch in clumps of 3 separate plants close together? Or, does one hope that nature will perform this feat for the gardner? Thanks, Z6, NJ

Reply to
Twobtold

You should perhaps try to find specimens that are naturally already growing as a clump... a trunk that divides into three parts higher up the trunk than right at the soil line would become very weak with age.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Clumps are made by plating 2-4 liners in contact with one another in a single hole. Usually this is not done with papyrifera. especially in NJ area because of the species vulnerability to Bronze birch borer and birch leaf miner. The more common clumper in the trade is Euro. white birch (B. alba) and its CVs as well as river birch (B. nigra) its CVs.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

If I plant the White Birch(s) in Z6, NJ, then I WILL get birch borer?

Reply to
Twobtold

Almost certainly. And, they do not fair well the summer heat we get here (in southern piedmont and coastal plains areas).

Reply to
Mike LaMana