which vines are harmless to trees?

Hello,
I have maple trees, and I'd like to add vines climbing on them. Some of the vines sold around here include trumpet vine, clematis, etc. But I don't want to do this if it will hurt the trees. Which vines are safe for maples?
Thank you very much!
Ted Shoemaker certified Gray Thumb Madison, Wisconsin
On 23 Apr 2007 05:50:55 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

Vines pose two significant risks to trees. First, if a vine is allowed to grow unchecked into the canopy it can overshadow the tree's foliage and cause it to decline. Second, if the vine wraps around a branch it can girdle it like a noose.
I'd recommend you find an arbor or fence to support the vines, but if you are determined to put the vine in the tree you should be careful about pruning it down out of the canopy regularly. Avoid English Ivy (H. helix) as it really attaches itself and can be extremely difficult to remove.
good luck, Keith Babberney ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT
most vines arent suitable, but clematis are great. they dont wind around a tree or branch. you will need to staple some bird netting around the trunk to give the clematis something to hang onto until they get into the branches. and plant the clematis on the north side of the tree and deeper than usual. and it really, really needs to be watered every other day. I had one clematis with blooms the size of dinner plates and it turned out my piping out to the garden has a little leak near the clematis.
it will take 3 years for it to really jump up into the lower branches of the maple. I live in Milwaukee. Ingrid

What kind of clematis likes the shade of a tree large enough to grow up into it? My clematis grow up through my roses, but they get full sun.