Where to Place a Jasmine and How to Winterize It?

My friend just gave me a jasmine with small white flowers as a gift. I believe it is "Common Jasmine" because it is flowering now instead of in late winter. I would like to know what is the best place to put it and how I should winterize it. Specifically, I would like to know how much sun light per day it needs in spring to fall, and whether it needs any sun at all in the winter.

I could have placed it indoor. It smells really good. Obviously, I want to place it near the living area to take full advantage of the great smell. But the south facing windows don't get enough sun light because there are large trees not far away from the windows (I have some leggy seedlings to prove this). Moreover, my young kids will destroy it if I leave it indoor. Therefore, placing it indoor doesn't seem to be a good idea.

The other logical place is to place it on a north facing deck. If I put it near the northern edge of the deck, it will get at least 6 hours of sun light every day. But I am afraid that I will not be able to smell anything if I place it so far away (15-ft). Will its smell so strong that it can travel such a long distance? The smell of honeysuckle in my neighbor yard can travel a great distance away if the wind is in the right direction. I want to know how far the smell of jasmine can travel as comparing to the smell of honeysuckle.

My understanding is that jasmine cannot surrive in my area in winter (zone-6). What should I do to winterize it? Can I wrap it up and place it in an unheated garage or in my unheated basement and place it next to a hot-water-heater? Does it need any sun light at all in winter?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan