Where to get a holly tree?

I have seen several holly trees in the Cape Cod area and would like to put one in our front yard. Those I have seen are about 15 feet high and probably the same width.

Does anyone know of a source for such a tree?

TIA

John

Reply to
John Bachman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Holly is pretty easy to root. Why not take a few cuttings from a tree that you like?

Reply to
Pat Keith

Good idea, Pat. John Bachman, would this suggestion work or do you need a larger specimen? If so, perhaps of the native plant nurseries in your area would have some inventory.

Pat Keith wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Just fyi, there is a *serious* shortage of Ilex opaca in the industry, although last year seemed to be the 'watershed low' in terms of availability.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

industry,

Yeahbut . . . I. Opaca isn't the only native kid (holly) on the block that makes a good yard tree.

Look for I. montana (30 feet), or I. vomitoria (as long as you stay away from that dwarf monstrosity that is so common in the nurseries) also makes an excellent, colorful yard tree to about

20 feet.

Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear (Ogallala Sioux Chief)

Reply to
Jim Lewis