Where should I plant Mugwort?

Page 2 of 3
Jangchub wrote:

Personally, while interesting, for sosmeone new to using herbs I'd recommend something more recent. Rosemary Gladstar's A Family Herebal, perhaps or Herbs for Pets, going back to the original post.
Peace,
Kate

How is what you said any different than what I said? I said for people to check it out before just using herbs, thinking they are perfectly safe because they grow in the garden. Most of our drugs today are still made of plant extracts, including those of Merck and Pfizer (whose stock I dumped a long time ago).
I wasn't inciting anyone to be paranoid, just that if someone says it on the Internet, doesn't make it so and that includes what I say as well.
I know someone who has a son and he heard he could trip on datura and he ate some seeds, overdosed and is no catatonic. Oh, it's only a herb. Pot is a herb, but it's illegal. Cocaine is a herb, also illegal. You get my point and if not, that's okay too.

check

Kids (and dumb adults) getting hurt while trying to find a cheap high is not new and it will keep happening as long as there are kids (and dumb adults). I'll bet you anything the kid knew darned well there were dangers and ignored them. Shit happens.
And as for all the caution warnings about herbs, well, anything can be dangerous and/or deadly under the wrong circumstances. Water is both the giver of life and deadly, too, for example. Should there be warnings on your sink taps that say, "Danger: don't drink gallons and gallons of this substance every day"? I think repeatedly warning adults about the danger of over-doing anything is a little silly but I appreciate your good intentions, nonetheless.
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:00:07 +0000 (UTC), EvilGoddessFragileWarrior

You assume everyone in this newsgroup is an adult, dumb or not. There are people who use many pesticides incorrectly and the label has specific instructions. People do not read them. People get sick, cancers, skin problems, etc. I'm glad you approve of my good intentions, sheesh. Ma, is that you?

Nice.
I really wanted to say something stronger but decided a nicer approach might work. Apparently I was wrong. Your constant lecturing is annoying in the extreme. You are not the 'net police and it is not your responsibility to constantly tell everyone how much smarter you are than anyone else.
Give it a rest occasionally.
from EvilGoddessFragileWarrior
Your constant lecturing is annoying

Since when, is expressing an opinion based on facts, "lecturing" ,"being the net police" or boasting?

Wake up, dozy. This is usenet, it exists for people to share opinions and information.
Janet.
contains these words:

Is there a limit to the fear-mongering? Six, seven lengthy rants about the horrid things that can happen, perhaps? Is there anyone here that needs to hear a lecture that many times? If this is here for opinions my opnion is I don't need to be talked to like a six year old. That's including cutsy name calling, too.

Eve, I see you've met some of the local color. At times, any of these news groups will appear to turn into the anarchy of an elementary school playground. I'm not patronizing you. I've been posting here for about a year and have learned quite a bit. This is about as bad as I've seen members act though. It is kinda surprising how sensitive, abusive people can be. More often it is the mendicant potty-mouth that stragles through but that is what the kill button on the "news reader" is all about.
You got some some good information from some good people. I'm sure you will have more questions and more good people will step-up to help.
I'm glad you posted because you got a couple of the herbalists to respond. I wasn't sure if there were any here.
I'm planning on experimenting with polk weed this year. I'm sure I'll have some questions. The young leaves are supposed to be good in salads but I have yet to quantify what young means. I want to be cautious with these plants because they have a very bad reputation.
What are your plans for the mugwort? I'm wondering how it would mix with gentiana lutea to make a digestive. Maybe too much the same.
- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (more or less)
[..]

From everything I've seen on it, the young leaves (and I don't know what that means either -- maybe pre-bloom?) need to be boiled in several different pots of water to take away the toxins. Makes me nervous. Perhaps it is one of those things you have to have someone who is familiar with it do it with you the first few times, like mushroom hunting.

Not much. I'm just planting them, not using them. I want to see what they look like and if I don't like them, they're gone.

It'll be so bitter I don't know how you'll get it down! Gentiana lutea is supposed to be one of the most bitter herbs of all, isn't it?

In France, they use it to make aperitif called Suze. Suze is more than gentian but that is its' base. Above the Gorge du Tarn, there is a mountain called Lozre. When we were there, the mountain was perfumed by the gentian. (The smell is, to my nose, a cross between lilac and sage.) We loved it. So homemade aperitifs or just its' perfume, I don't care. I want it.
The culinary side of the pokeweed is ancillary to my interest in it's effects on the lymphatic system. My wife survived a cancer in her leg three years ago and the follow up radiation therapy fried the lymph node near her groin. Now the top of her leg feels a hard as wood. I'm hoping the pokeweed, or cleavers, or something will have some effect on it. I check with our doctors to get feed-back from them and, if there is no downside, then I'll try it to get an idea of the taste. I've just started with the cleaver juice.
I'll also be playing around with better melon, astergalus, echinacea, omega flax, purslane, english hawthorn, and prunella to name a few. Along with work, that should pretty much take care of my summer.
It's been a pretty dry winter. I hope we have enough water to swim in the river this year.
Have fun, - Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

node

Cleavers seems to work pretty good for lymphatic problems. It wouldn't hurt to try it if you get clearance from the doctors. I drink it in tea with Stinging Nettles and Lemon Balm (all dried) and the tea is pretty darned good. I let everything steep for six hours and drink it cold. I'm getting quite a taste for it after using it for a few weeks now. The herbalist at the local herb farm mixes it up for me.
If you have a doctor who will talk to you about herbal meds, good for you! My doctor (a family member!) has never been interested in seeing that side of things *at all*. I find that eastern doctors will entertain herbal remedies much more readily than western doctors.
Let me know if you try cleavers and what results you get with it. Good luck on your search! I think you must be pretty special to be searching for remedies for your lady.

Actually it wasn't a doctor, it was a pharmacologist and he checked his data base while we talked. He told me that as long as I was growing the herbs myself, cleavers and bitter melon, he didn't see anything contraindicative. Cleaver juice tastes a little like you would expect Brussel sprout juice to taste:-( Not horrible but nothing to write home about. 5ml - 15 ml, 3 times/day. Still working on the scheduling.
This is where I put my big toe in the sand and tell you that I am just a big lunk, it's my lady who is special. Well, at least for the last 39 years. Yikes, that's a long time. Seems like just yesterday. I gotta go make a margarita. Hasta luego.
- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
In article

Consider a post over in Sci.med.cardiology. There are a few folks from Finland that may be of interest. Also a lot of religious advocates nuff said. :)) Liam lives in France.
Bill who loves Bitter Mellon, Purslane and Black thorn syrup when I can find it. Pokeweed is just that here but like fiddle heads offer an opportunity to learn more.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Do you fry up the fiddle heads? What does that do to the plant? Does it regenerate after the young heads are removed?

Think Wild Asparagus. :))
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
In article < snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews .net>,

Oh my god, Bill. Do all psychiatric patients with psychotic breaks get their own computer preset to sci.med.cardiology? The loons in "wrecked gardens" seem absolutely wholesome by comparison. I just have the feeling I'm going to end-up buying beach front property on Mars.'nuff said indeed :>O
Who is this Liam of whom you speak?
Damn, out of limes.
- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

from

Are you saying the mere mention of it drives people CRAZY? :)

You have to have a news reader with kill filing otherwise carpal finger due to the delete button often. Think of it like weeding after a months vacation in June. Have to be Ruthless. Still some Gems about. Liam is an Expat now living in France who had CABG like me. Juhana Harju a name to look for in regards to nutrition and more. There are others but removing the chaff from the wheat rules.
Jim, David, Matti,Jay1000 and a few other folks stop by sometimes.
I'd just monitor your query to get a flavor but your post suggesting Theist not apply is like a moth and bright light ;))
Bill
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

You seem not to understand how usenet works. X posts a question. . Those making a reply, may not have seen the other replies. That's because they may be posting from different timezones, different continents, different hemispheres of the world; and they're all using different isps whose servers use different routes to propagate messages. When other people see those posts, depends on how their newsreader collects messages and when they download to their own screen. They may see replies appear on screen one by one, or all together; or in a different order. It's common, for some readers' servers to show the replies before the question. None of that, is any reflection on those who posted.

Other peoples' opinions may differ.
Janet
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:54:28 +0100, Janet Baraclough

You're talking to someone who calls themself EvilGoddessFragileWarrior. Nuff said. Stop being so preachy.