Where should I plant Mugwort?

I think we are all on the same page here. No offense was intended. I was just trying to be supportive of Eve in cutting the pharmaceutical umbilical cord.

Sometimes we do get blind-sided by plants, take lavender for example. Turns out that compounds in lavender oil mimic estrogen and, in a few cases, little boys have started growing breasts.

Gives me pause because I have a nearly half a bottle left of lavender massage oil that I use on my wife. (Could that be why those construction workers were looking at me the other day? Naaa)

Speaking of dats. My brother had a drop of dew from a brugmansia flower fall in his eye. His wife had to take him to the hospital when he started feeling dizzy and his vision blurred. They gave him a shot of something and, he was soon back up on his feet. He was a bit shaken by the experience but, otherwise fine.

Marijuana has been illegal since 1933, when Elliot Ness & Co. suddenly needed a "raison d'etre" due to the legalization of booze. No doubt about it though, marijuana can definitely be hazardous to your freedom. Smoking anything (combustion products), can't be good for you.

And I see that that popular populist, Evo Morales, is about to legalize, to some degree, coca in Bolivia.

That said, a person would be a fool to recreationally use amphetamines. Everybody but "tweekers" know their mind-eating and, physically punishing side-effects.

My favorite irritation is treating the dandelion as a weed when it is really a great diuretic that provides potassium, which most diuretics leach from your body.

Since we are in the same choir, I wouldn't start preaching at you.

Which leads me to,

Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

- Bill

Reply to
William Rose

The message from EvilGoddessFragileWarrior responsibility to constantly tell everyone how much smarter you are than

Since when, is expressing an opinion based on facts, "lecturing" ,"being the net police" or boasting?

Wake up, dozy. This is usenet, it exists for people to share opinions and information.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Janet Baraclough wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk:

Is there a limit to the fear-mongering? Six, seven lengthy rants about the horrid things that can happen, perhaps? Is there anyone here that needs to hear a lecture that many times? If this is here for opinions my opnion is I don't need to be talked to like a six year old. That's including cutsy name calling, too.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

In article , FragileWarrior contains these words:

Eve, I see you've met some of the local color. At times, any of these news groups will appear to turn into the anarchy of an elementary school playground. I'm not patronizing you. I've been posting here for about a year and have learned quite a bit. This is about as bad as I've seen members act though. It is kinda surprising how sensitive, abusive people can be. More often it is the mendicant potty-mouth that stragles through but that is what the kill button on the "news reader" is all about.

You got some some good information from some good people. I'm sure you will have more questions and more good people will step-up to help.

I'm glad you posted because you got a couple of the herbalists to respond. I wasn't sure if there were any here.

I'm planning on experimenting with polk weed this year. I'm sure I'll have some questions. The young leaves are supposed to be good in salads but I have yet to quantify what young means. I want to be cautious with these plants because they have a very bad reputation.

What are your plans for the mugwort? I'm wondering how it would mix with gentiana lutea to make a digestive. Maybe too much the same.

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (more or less)

Reply to
Bill Rose

How did my definition fit in with this debate? Was my definition accurate according to a herbalist?

Reply to
Jangchub

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:01:59 +0000 (UTC), EvilGoddessFragileWarrior responsibility to constantly tell everyone how much smarter you are than

I have not one idea what you are talking about. The fact is, I do know a lot. I have been in the field of horticulture for decades. I am retired now, but have given lectures on the dangers, and advantages of herbs. All I did was simply say don't use herbs because someone said an artemesia pillow helps with sleep. That is idiotic, at best.

Also realize how you perceive me is a reflection you project on me. Worry about your own words and don't worry about mine. Filter me out if I'm such a douchebag in your eyes.

Reply to
Jangchub

This interests me. I hadn't heard about this finding. I do take phytoestrogens and all my menapausal symptoms stopped within a week or two.

Yes, as a collector and grower of several varieties of Brugmansia, it is indeed very toxic both internally and systemically through skin, eye ducts, nose, mouth...etc. Not everyone who tries a Datura seed high, or a Brugmansia trip from the seeds knows it can destroy your mind in hours.

I don't know one person on the planet who died from smoking pot, but we have numbers in the hundreds of thousands who die directly from alcohol. That doesn't count the tens of thousands dead in car accidents. I'm only talking about people with liver disease and its related accompanying illness'. Pot should be legalized.

Probably out of desperation due to the drug cartels and the violence surrounding the drug trafficing trade. I have to think that one through. I had a cocaine habit in my twenties. I also had a choice to do it or not. I chose to do it. I'm paying now with health problems. I sure am glad I didn't know anything about smoking crack or methamphetamine when I was using drugs. Free base and crank came way after I already stopped.

Especially knowing what we know now about the drug.

You'd love my garden. I let them grow, bloom, and seed. They are a beautiful flower which is hard to kill and the remarkable thing is, if left alone will find a balance and not overtake the cultivated garden. Then again, my garden is specifically designed for wildlife and boy does it have it! Last night we counted 17 toads, all croaking through the night, then it stormed and they are asleep now. That's 17 in two small ponds. It sounded like the everglades back there LOL.

Probablyus mostus. Gimme me my Ben and Jerry's tribute ice cream "Americone Dream" which is dedicated to our favorite source for the news; "The Colbert Report."

Reply to
Jangchub

You're talking to someone who calls themself EvilGoddessFragileWarrior. Nuff said. Stop being so preachy.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

??? LOL

You even shit on people who are sticking up for you? Nice.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Bill Rose wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nnrp-virt.nntp.sonic.net: [..]

From everything I've seen on it, the young leaves (and I don't know what that means either -- maybe pre-bloom?) need to be boiled in several different pots of water to take away the toxins. Makes me nervous. Perhaps it is one of those things you have to have someone who is familiar with it do it with you the first few times, like mushroom hunting.

Not much. I'm just planting them, not using them. I want to see what they look like and if I don't like them, they're gone.

It'll be so bitter I don't know how you'll get it down! Gentiana lutea is supposed to be one of the most bitter herbs of all, isn't it?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

In article , FragileWarrior > have some questions. The young leaves are supposed to be good in

In France, they use it to make aperitif called Suze. Suze is more than gentian but that is its' base. Above the Gorge du Tarn, there is a mountain called Lozère. When we were there, the mountain was perfumed by the gentian. (The smell is, to my nose, a cross between lilac and sage.) We loved it. So homemade aperitifs or just its' perfume, I don't care. I want it.

The culinary side of the pokeweed is ancillary to my interest in it's effects on the lymphatic system. My wife survived a cancer in her leg three years ago and the follow up radiation therapy fried the lymph node near her groin. Now the top of her leg feels a hard as wood. I'm hoping the pokeweed, or cleavers, or something will have some effect on it. I check with our doctors to get feed-back from them and, if there is no downside, then I'll try it to get an idea of the taste. I've just started with the cleaver juice.

I'll also be playing around with better melon, astergalus, echinacea, omega flax, purslane, english hawthorn, and prunella to name a few. Along with work, that should pretty much take care of my summer.

It's been a pretty dry winter. I hope we have enough water to swim in the river this year.

Have fun,

- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
William Rose

The message from FragileWarrior

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

William Rose wrote in news:rosefam- snipped-for-privacy@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

Cleavers seems to work pretty good for lymphatic problems. It wouldn't hurt to try it if you get clearance from the doctors. I drink it in tea with Stinging Nettles and Lemon Balm (all dried) and the tea is pretty darned good. I let everything steep for six hours and drink it cold. I'm getting quite a taste for it after using it for a few weeks now. The herbalist at the local herb farm mixes it up for me.

If you have a doctor who will talk to you about herbal meds, good for you! My doctor (a family member!) has never been interested in seeing that side of things *at all*. I find that eastern doctors will entertain herbal remedies much more readily than western doctors.

Let me know if you try cleavers and what results you get with it. Good luck on your search! I think you must be pretty special to be searching for remedies for your lady.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Consider a post over in Sci.med.cardiology. There are a few folks from Finland that may be of interest. Also a lot of religious advocates nuff said. :)) Liam lives in France.

Bill who loves Bitter Mellon, Purslane and Black thorn syrup when I can find it. Pokeweed is just that here but like fiddle heads offer an opportunity to learn more.

Reply to
William Wagner

William Wagner wrote in news:not-to- snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net:

Do you fry up the fiddle heads? What does that do to the plant? Does it regenerate after the young heads are removed?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

In article , FragileWarrior

Reply to
William Wagner

In article , FragileWarrior > effects on the lymphatic system. My wife survived a cancer in her leg

Actually it wasn't a doctor, it was a pharmacologist and he checked his data base while we talked. He told me that as long as I was growing the herbs myself, cleavers and bitter melon, he didn't see anything contraindicative. Cleaver juice tastes a little like you would expect Brussel sprout juice to taste:-( Not horrible but nothing to write home about. 5ml - 15 ml, 3 times/day. Still working on the scheduling.

This is where I put my big toe in the sand and tell you that I am just a big lunk, it's my lady who is special. Well, at least for the last 39 years. Yikes, that's a long time. Seems like just yesterday. I gotta go make a margarita. Hasta luego.

- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
William Rose

Hi- Anyone's definition of a 'herb' is accurate - the trick is to know what it is before you debate with them. Merry

Reply to
Merry

Okay, so to reiterate my question; did my definition go along with the debate we were having? Actually, I wasn't debating, I was reporting a fact. A fact that says because someone on Usenet says it's so, doesn't mean it's so. Because it is on a website which says it's so, doesn't meant it's so. Use of any herb, whether medicinal or culinary should be researched before hand.

I gave an example of a young man who heard he could trip on datura seeds. And no, he was ignorant to any potential harm it could cause and now he is catatonic for (most likely) the rest of his life at the age of 17. I was told in a very spiteful way he must have known. He didn't know. Many teenagers don't know and this is a very low reported phenomena ongoing in the US. New Jersey, of all places, has a huge outbreak of Datura seed use, Ipomoea seed use and Brugmansia use to get high and halucinate. Gone are the days where orange sunshine didn't kill you.

Reply to
Jangchub

I think the statement "Actually, I wasn't debating, .." says it all. I am not questioning what you were saying. I was just wondering where you were coming from. Merry

Reply to
Merry