where do i start!!

hi all,
i have just stumbled across this forum in my attempt to sort out m 'gardern / jungle'
basically, my garden has been untouched by me since i moved in to th house 3 years ago and probably wasnt tended by the previous owner for long time either.
The area is only small (maybe 5 x 4 metres) but is completely covere in weeds / stalks / flowery things! i want to start fresh, but dont know where to start.
i would like some advice on where to start, what tools i will need, ho to get rid of the weeds once they are cut down (skip / shredder etc) wil i need weed killer.
i have tried to attatch a picture but it keeps saying upload failed.
thanks in advance ia
-- dco_uk
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:32:28 +0100, dco_uk

This is a non-binaries group and most servers won't allow posting of pics. Try posting your picture to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens and give us a heads-up in this group.
Charlie
In article

Sound advice!
I was going to write get a spade and a fork perhaps Bulldog make.
Have Fun!
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
you first need to decide what kind of a garden you want. is this your entire back yard or is this a real "garden" meaning just for planting veggies and/or flowers?

thanks for the replies everyone. i suppose what i really am askin
though is what is the best way of getting rid of the existing weeds stalks / flowers that are covering my garden. dig? weed killer? cut i down then dig
-- dco_uk

That's what the cardboard/newspaper suggested by someone else was for. Deprive them of light.
But there are different ways to go about this. Digging or pulling can work. Some sources will suggest herbicide (although if you do want to go this route be careful about how long your chosen herbicide lasts in the soil and other such considerations).
Given that you have a relatively small area, I wouldn't be afraid of pulling things up by hand.
Personally, I always tend towards the "identify the inherited plant first, then I know whether to keep it or not" approach. But that could take you a while with 3+ years of untended growth (a few of the plants you'd identify pretty quickly, but there are lots of plants in this world and it takes a while to learn all the ones in your yard). So I wouldn't blame you for sticking to the "get rid of it all and start afresh" plan.
In article

I'm of similar mind and wonder why parents were not consulted first. If deceased a chat with neighbors would be my next choice. Sounds like extreme isolation if a guy in UK ask us what to do about a garden. Get about!
My main answer would be to make many mistakes and maybe learn by them.
My first attempt with a Dad who already was into Rodale long ago was to plant Lily of the Valley. Smelled nice. Then went with all sort of herbs for health reasons and ended up with Homeopathic remedies which ended up with Heart Disease which yielded Muscle loss and I'm back to herbs again. Mostly as supplements which can be pricey.
Mistakes seem to be the order of things yet my wife and her grandmother weed or weeded by hand almost every day.
Bill
PS for Charlie
I can't quite her. Blood, sweat and tears.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade