Where can I buy a cheap used steel barrel?

Page 2 of 2

Regarding the 'sig' below:
... it just might be that the British gov't is right. Consider how the 'hooligans' behave at the soccer matches. When they travel to the Continent for tournament matches, the foreign cities turn out complete riot squads of police to deal with the English fans .. consider what it would be like if these people had guns??
Hehehe .. just food for thought.

--
Reply to: allen-at-graybyrd.com

Graybyrd wrote:

And... How many of these fans would be left if the locals had guns?
On 16 Jul 2004 00:42:27 GMT, Ignoramus23926

Chuckle, true enough. I've read the studies.
Of course the newspapers, enviornmental groups, and so forth get wild about reporting and discussing it, as if it were nearly the end of the world that people are allowed to burn trash. And that trash burning by private individuals is the new "greatest threat" to the enviornment.
And of course, city council members, county and state government officials hop on the hype and hyperbole with gusto, but not too much in the way of cogent thought, knowledge, or understanding of the chemistry. And print new fliers and posters, and pass new laws prohibiting trash burning. Make press announcements about their new laws, pat each other on the back and tell each other, "Ohhh, we're so wonderful. Aren't we?" Etc.
ROFL ......
If yah actually read the relative studies and evidence. The actual study results, not the news reporter hype material. And the discussion about the issue done by -chemists-, not the discussions done by what are too often the science illiterate enviornmental whacko groups. You'll note that the main problem is that some folks do not know better, and burn various plastics and other man-made artifical materials (nylon, naugahide, so on and so forth) in their burn barrels.
This is a no-no, or should be.
If you did not know, a lot of the man-made materials commonly found in homes, release some nasty stuff when burned. Particularly materials made of PVC.
Tho other commonly found materials, such as shrink wrap, plastic milk cartons, other plastic containers, plastic bags, styrofoam, "foam rubber", and so forth are also a problem. As concerns producing dioxins when burned incompletely at the lower temps commonly found in burn barrels. But PVC is THE biggy as a producer of dioxins when burned improperly.
There are some other sources of chlorine in household trash. Common table salt that'd been put on food, bleached paper, etc. But these are so negligiable in effect that they can be effectively dismissed as a concern.
Around here, the solution was that locally folks were informed as to what NOT to burn in their burn barrels. And so were the county sheriff's deputies. The deputies don't check everyone making a burn. But do make spot checks as they have time, or if they see a lot of black smoke. Make sure you've taken the proper safety precautions, and that you're not burning stuff yah shouldn't.
So, locally, not a big issue. Especially as I live in a low population density area. Rural. Tho, the deputies I mentioned WILL ticket your ass if they catch yah burning stuff you shouldn't. Which is reasonable, IMHO. As mentioned, they don't try to stop at every burn, but do make routine checks. I've had one of the local guys stop a couple times, just to take a look. Which I have no problem with. This is why we pay taxes, and hire deputies, right? So we have somebody who'll be out there checking to ensure folks aren't doing stuff which is unsafe or illegal, etc.
I know some folks on this misc.survivalism have a dislike and distrust for "cops" in general. <Shrug> Maybe with reason. In a lifetime, I've run across what I thought was a bad cop, from time to time.
However, I think most of em are good, decent folks trying to do a good job.
Bob

Supposedly, half of dioxin comes from burn barrels.
http://www.epa.state.il.us/community-relations/fact-sheets/burn-barrels /

Well, duh, you are right, but precisely that's why they outlaw burn barrels, so that retards or ignorant people would not do it.

yep.
You are right in that if informed people burn stuff, it would be better.
In any case, I gave up on the idea of a burn barrel, as I think that I will make the rest of the society to pay for what essentially is my entertainment.
Bad news. I called our fire department and they pretty much said that a firepit like that would be illegal here. So is burning brush. What a bummer. I can understand them, sort of, from a fire safety perspective, but I am upset.
Since I already have some not so kosher things on my property (chickens), I would prefer not to attract attention to myself.
I hoped to have a firepit in the drum because it would be fun and practicable to burn stuff, but, it would attract too much attention. Plus, it would remind me of our summer house where I spent my childhood summers.
The sad part of livings amongst "uptight" white people obsessed with "property values", I guess.
I will probably buy some UL listed cute firepit in the fall, when they become available, even though a barrel would be much better for me.
I really like the smell of burning brush and leaves.
It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what Gunner
misc.survivalism , viz:

    Drink plenty of milk. I'm told a large glass of milk after doing anything which might result in zinc fumes (welding, smelting, casting, etc) goes a long way towards preventing the nasty headache, aches and general blahs.
(Oh great, now I'm seeing a welder's hood with a milk moustache and "Got Milk?" underneath.)
--
pyotr filipivich
"Do not argue with the forces of nature, for you are small,
Gunner wrote:

Makes you feel like you're gonna die and afraid you might be wrong.
BTW, don't know why, but the "milk treatment" works for me.
The CDC has guidelines on building a 'drum' incinerator in their 'Viral Haemorrhagic Fevers' Manual - this manual is designed for use in Low-Tech situations as might be found in a Third-World setting, or more specifically, in remote African locales threatened by Ebola.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/spb/mnpages/vhfmanual.htm
The above webpage has specific chapters and annexes/appendices of the manual available as separate HTML and PDF downloads, or you can download the lot in one go as a PDF document.
Chapter you want is 'Annex 10', down the bottom of the page - the above webpage states 'Annex 9', but the pictures are in the 'Community Information Posters' section in the Annex 10 webpage.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/spb/mnpages/vhfmanual/annex10.htm This page has the step by step pictorial instructions.
I think ALL survival-minded people should print this CDC document out, as it contains a LOT of good 'Do-It-Yourself' info - including how to make your own hospital masks and gowns.
-- Yours, DBM - snipped-for-privacy@uq.net.au From Somewhere in Australia, the Land of Tree-hugging Funnelwebs...

LOL I guess that makes rural Missouri pretty close to third-world since most country folks have themselves a "burnie barrel" or two. It sure beats paying $45 a quarter for some city fella to come and collect our garbage, and one thing for sure, no stranger is getting ahold of "personal information" that they could use for identity theft.
Country life is good.
Em
I've run across the suggestion (many times) that the enamelled spin tub from an old top-loading washing machine makes an excellent fire pit. It should hold to heat and ashes about as well as the bottom half of an enamelled Weber bbq kettle, no?
Gray
--
Reply to: allen-at-graybyrd.com

<big snip>

In my area, Southern West-Central Michigan, the law requires a cover such as your expanded metal one. The law states that all burn barrels must be covered with a weighted metal cover, with holes no larger than 3/4".
Here is a link to the law in Illinois I found on a Google search for "Illinois burn barrel law".
http://www.epa.state.il.us/community-relations/fact-sheets/burn-barrels /
Best Wishes,
Ken Olson Clarksville MI USA
On 12 Jul 2004 14:38:18 GMT, Ignoramus32482

Got a cutting torch? Cut off the top of the barrel, then cut 4-6 2" holes around the side of the barrel about 4" from the bottom. If no cutting torch..use a hammer and a nice sharp large chisel. A brick chippers chisel works ok. Wear hearing protection and bring your lunch. It will take a while.
Useage.....
Stand on 5 cinderblocks
Insert flammable debris
Ignite.
Step away.
Gunners note....Its considered a Good Thing to have a piece of expanded metal grating to lay over the top as it tends to keep the big flaming pieces of paper and large burning leaves from wafting upwards and then landing on your or anothers property, and setting a fire that burns down the county.
A 6' steel pipe is also handy to stir the flaming material during the course of the flambe. Do not be come too attached to your eyebrowes or eye lashes. Good leather gloves are handy. A shower afterwards is optional.
Gunner
That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.         - George Orwell

I have a grinder...

Thanks. I was , however, thinking of cutting a bigger opening around the bottom, like a little smiley, say 3" high by 12" high, 4" above the bottom, for easy removal of ash.

I was thinking about having some sort of a chimney on top, but maybe grating is the way to go. Yes, I would hate to see cinders flying out of that thing.

I used to have a firepit in our summer house when I was a kid, and definitely the point about eyelashes is very relevant. That firepit was simply a barrel lying on the side.
Just tip it on dge to remove the ashes. Much better access to the total
Dick
area.

On 12 Jul 2004 17:26:00 GMT, Ignoramus32482

Wear hearing and eye protection. Use a new disk.

To remove the ash..you tip over the barrel. Or as most folks do..toss the entire barrel and repeat the process. A large hole lets the fire out on the ground. You want holes all around the base, or one side will burn while the other chokes out.

Grating is cheap. Often free.

Gunner
That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.         - George Orwell
A couple people mentioned good ideas. The secret is to get a good draft.
Find some old fence and fold it several times, or something similar that has lots of holes, but will still hold the trash. Use some old rocks or bricks to hold it above the ground by a foot or so. Put the barrel on top.
To use it, put the stuff that will burn well on the bottom. If you have some sticks that you need to get rid of, put them above that. Use a lighter or propane torch to light the paper. I like to do it from underneath because fire burns up, not down. When the fire starts to grow, start tossing the trash it. Because of the good draft, the flame will be hot and plenty of oxygen will be available for the more difficult stuff. That avoids the black smoke and nasty smell.
Ray
Ignoramus9040 wrote:

Neighbors use a hub from the rear wheel of an ag tractor for their firepit.
: Need to construct a cheap firepit... Was hoping that a used barrel : could be had for $5 or so...
: Any ideas?
: Thanks!
: i