Where buy high quality low voltage landscape lights ?

Page 2 of 3

Yep, and here's some details that some people may be interested in regarding that: http://www.liberty-light.com /
See bottom of the page. I don't like their method of moving the light way up the flagpole. To start out with, its ugly in appearance. Part of the illumination is blocked by the flagpole itself. The usual method consists of surface/ground mounted units to illuminate all areas the flag could possibly furl. Double that distance and mount on the ground, you have 1/4 the illumination for the Liberty Light on the flag. You'll need more than one Liberty Light for a stand-alone flag pole. The building side mounted flagpole, one is enough. They throw in the Lux factor for an idea of its illumination. Look here: http://www.answers.com/topic/lux
I'm all for green. We need to use what's available including the sun. What we get when we use a solar-powered product needs more research by the consumer before a purchase. We also need uniformity of illumination specifications, along with stating that as a comparison of what we know. Like illumination compared to a certain wattage standard incandescent light bulb when citing illumination of an LED.
--
Dave

In article

Newsgroups: rec.gardens Subject: Re: I would like some feedback.. Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:51:22 -0700 (PDT)
Christian wrote:

That's your first untruth... you *operate* a business.... you don't own a business until your IRS return doesn't show you're operating at a loss.

That's your second untruth.

Your parents must have had high hopes for you to succeed in the arts... you're not going to do well in business unless you change your name. -----
As you see, Shelly has always been narcissistic, pompous, wrong, and denigrating of others. Good luck in your conversations with him.
--

- Billy

Does your mommy still hafta wipe your tushy... if it's so important to you there's an 800 number or send email. Lumens aren't very important with outdoor lighting... typical indoor lighting reflects off the walls,ceiling, floors, and furnishings back into the room... outdoor lighting travels to infinity... type of source/light and how it's concentrated is what's important... that's why there are floodlights, spot lights, etc.

Ah, Shelly's charm offensive (or should that be offensive charm? Hmmmmm).
--

- Billy

In other words, you have no specs. You're the one that was calling people names and claiming that we were behind the times. Yet you're promoting companies and products that can't even list the light output of their products on the internet. I only do business with companies that provide specs and data sheets and have them available on the internet, as any decent vendor does. No need to waste time with companies that don't have them available, because it's usually for a reason.
If you want to convince someone as to how viable solar lights are to light up a flag pole, a data sheet with specs would go a long way. Also, apologizing and retracting your racist remarks would be a good idea too.

In other words, you have no specs. You're the one that was calling people names and claiming that we were behind the times. Yet you're promoting companies and products that can't even list the light output of their products on the internet. I only do business with companies that provide specs and data sheets and have them available on the internet, as any decent vendor does. No need to waste time with companies that don't have them available, because it's usually for a reason.
If you want to convince someone as to how viable solar lights are to light up a flag pole, a data sheet with specs would go a long way. Also, apologizing and retracting your racist remarks would be a good idea too.
----------
The specs are there, you have to click a link on the page for more details. They may not be in lumens. One of the website uses comparsions to the standard incandescent light bulb in terms of watts, and another website uses the term "lux" which can be converted to lumens. While "lumens" is more specific in illumination, the layman needs a comparison to the standard incandescent light bulb in terms of watts to get an idea of illumination of a specific LED.
--
Dave

yes. this is the way we are going. we even have some solar LED lights that are really surprising in that they have been outside all winter for 2 years now and havent replaced the battery. The light is not BRIGHT like you can read from it, but we just want subtle lighting. Ingrid
On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 05:42:49 -0400, "Alan" <you're got to be joking> wrote:

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

One box of 4 that I bought very cheap, says right on the box that the solar powered batteries cannot be replaced. Lasted for 2 years. No evidence of water intrusion. Lights: LEDs. Lights hang down, not pointed up. No way for water to affect them unless you have more than 8" of standing water.
Tried them again in a box of 6, even cheaper this time. No battery replacement disclaimer. Similar design. 1/2 price sale, I'm buying another box for when these fail. Just connect the top section to the current assembly already in the ground, all working again.
That's my advice. Buy them while on sale, and buy more than one set for your application.
--
Dave

on 6/8/2009 7:36 AM (ET) Dioclese wrote the following:

I don't think the OP is talking about solar powered lights. However I was in HD or Lowes last week and I saw solar powered lights that said the batteries are regular AA rechargeables. The problem I've had with solar powered lights is that the solar panel plastic turns milky and gets hairline cracks. I've gone so far as to buff the lenses and coated them with Future floor finish, but it doesn't last..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I've had the same issue, as well as the plastic stakes being softer than the ground that they're pushed into (and the soil in my yard is very soft indeed.)
I would love to find a good quality light, either solar, low voltage, whatever that could be relied upon to last more than a year or two.
nate

I have had no problems with the Malibu Metal low voltage series for 18 months now. Cast aluminum construction seems to hold up just fine.

I've had the same issue, as well as the plastic stakes being softer than the ground that they're pushed into (and the soil in my yard is very soft indeed.)
----------
Last box of these I bought, said right on the instructions not to pound into the earth. I used a length of 1/2" rebar for pounding out the holes here, and bending to the side and around in a conical fashion. The "stakes" are of conical shape. This works fine for installation here as long a I didn't overdo the size of the hole. Some hardware stores will sell you a 2' length of rebar. Soil here is rocky and very tough where lacking rock. Not rocket science....
--
Dave

"willshak" wrote:

It was only a week ago and you don't know if you were in Home Depot or Lowe's... something is terribly amiss with your perceptive ability. Sounds more like you futzed with buffing and coating your lamp's solar panels when new out of the box, thinking you'd improve them, instead you destroyed them. Mine have been operating perfectly for nearly seven years and show no crazing or opaqueness whatsoever, and the only cleaning they get is from when it rains.
This photo was taken like a week ago, my solar panels look exactly like when brand new:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ivuhz.jpg
Btw, anyone know the name of that plant, I would appreciate it, I can't remember and the tag is lost.
on 6/8/2009 12:24 PM (ET) brooklyn1 wrote the following:

If you must know, I wasn't looking to buy patio lights, but I was passing through the aisles where they were displayed. I was in both stores that day and they are within sight of each other..

You don't remember the name of the plant that you planted on your property, and you criticized my memory?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I never said I planted it, was there when I moved here. I've seen that plant at a local nursery but don't remember the name, of the plant, I know the name of the nursery. The original owner had little copper tags by many of the plants, that one is missing or may never have been. That plant could have been planted shortly after that deck was built, some twenty six years ago, not six days ago. Btw, I've been separating and planting pieces in unprotected areas, so far the deer and rabbits don't eat it.
This is the solar lamp I bought from Lowe's on 11/11/03, still works perfectly. I paid $35 for a set of two. I wouldn't coat the solar panels with anything as it may act like a sun screen one applies against sunburn, blocking the rays that recharge the batteries... I'd think modern auto waxes do contain a sunscreen to protect paint finishes.... clearly says any modification voids the warranty. It's very easy to replace the batteries, so far I'm still using the original batteries. Don't buy any B & D cordless vacuum, costs as much to change the battery pack as to buy a new unit.
Malibu makes cheaper (plastic) solar lights too, they also make low voltage lights, but these are made very substantially of cast aluminum and beautifully finished, I got the ones with the pewter finish: http://www.malibulights.com/index.php?action=subcategory&did=2&cid=5&sid &pid=LZ14001
When I bought them it was simply an impulse purchase, I did no research, they just looked nice and the price was right. Initially I wanted solar lights for markers at the foot of my driveway but soon realized it wouldn't be such a good idea as anyone passing could make off with them, so I put them in back at my deck.
on 6/9/2009 10:47 AM (ET) brooklyn1 wrote the following:

I never said I buffed and coated the panels 'out of the box'. The buffing and coating was done after they clouded over, as an experiment, like buffing plastic headlights when they cloud up, to see if they would regain their operation. They did for a while.

http://www.malibulights.com/index.php?action=subcategory&did=2&cid=5&sid &pid=LZ14001
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:24:48 GMT, "brooklyn1"

Those are lupines, a really nice perennial. No idea what variety, but yours are lovely!

Thank you very much. I will write that in my gardening book.

Now if the OP had just been a Monty Python fan... <bg>
The 2 models I"ve tried have lithim-ion batteries built-in.
The last set that quit, they just quit. No visible sign of why.
--
Dave