When to trim a new Cedar Hedge??

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I had a cedar hedge planted in my backyard. They are about 6.5 to 7 feet in height right now but are kind of scrawny.

Over the years I want them to first bush out more, then grow higher.

I was told by a friend that when you trim the tops, it makes the new growth come out to the sides more and not get too woody, and nce they are bushy enough then you can let them grow higher.

I have 3 questions, assuming this is right:

1) What time of year should the tops of the cedars be lopped off (Fall? Spring? mid Summer?) Just once per year??

2) Given that they were just planted in mid September, should I wait a while before I take the hedge trimmers to them, so as not to stress them too much, or is it OK to trim them now?

3) Is there a rule of thumb as to how much to lop off the top? I was thinking about a foot off of each one for now.

- I live in Canada (Toronto) where we get some cold winters if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
Dirk Puslich

If you live in Canada it means you're a moron to begin with. Don't even try to grow anything. You're too stoooopid.

Reply to
Howie Feltersnatch

I planted some cedars a few weeks ago (I'm also in Toronto). I think it's best to wait until they're dormant to trim them (in a few weeks).

Reply to
Greg Miller

Anyone else have some thoughts?

Reply to