when to transplant tree cuttings?

I have some tree cuttings soaking in water. The buds are starting to sprout leaves but no sign of roots yet after 3+ weeks. Do I wait for roots? Is it normal for cuttings to have leaves before roots?
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's returned
William R. Watt Wrote:

Hi William,
And the type of tree you have soaking in water is???
New
-- Newt
Newt ( snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk) writes:

butternut -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's returned
snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (William R. Watt) wrote in writes:

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/fnr/HTIRC/Juglans.cuttings.pdf
apparently butternut cuttings may root, but not in a bucket of water. it looks like you'll need rooting hormone (willow water should work), plant in moist sterile medium under a mist tent. are you sure your cuttings are canker free? lee
enigma Wrote:

Lee, great site.
New
-- Newt
enigma ( snipped-for-privacy@empire.net) writes:

thanks fro the information

from what I've read the spores are carried down the tree by runoff. If you go out when the sap is just starting to run, snow still on the ground, no leaves or bud activity, you can see where the black sap oozes out of the limbs. Not difficult to avoid infected limbs then. Actaully a goo dtime to prune infected areas. Later when the tree dries out it's hard to tell where the cancers are.

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's returned
snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (William R. Watt) wrote in writes:

i was thinking <warning <g>>... Lee Valley Tools sells propagating pots that fasten onto a branch, which you cut after the roots have formed in the pot. http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&cat=2,47236&p46938 sorry about the wrap. anyway, it might be something to try. all my butternuts have canker, so i don't think i can propagate them. OTOH, i have an American chestnut that was butchered to take out all the chestnut blight & it's doing really well now. has a large crop of nuts every fall & no sign of new blight. i have 2 seedlings started from that tree this spring. maybe they'll be blight resistant. lee
enigma ( snipped-for-privacy@empire.net) writes:

the cankers are localized. should be okay to propagate from uninfected limbs. I'm attempting to propagate wild trees on public land as a hobby.
I attended the ECSONG initial nut tree festival here in Ottawa in January. There was an interesting presentation on butternut research in the former Soviet union by a researcher who now works for Agriculuture Canada. Hope the festival becomes an annual event.
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's returned
William R. Watt Wrote:

William, the good news is you get to enjoy the leaves for a while. Th bad news is that these trees need to be propagated by planting the nut or by grafting, which appears to be difficult for this tree. Here' some sites you should find informative. http://tinyurl.com/ate83 http://tinyurl.com/clqx5 http://tinyurl.com/87tkx http://www.cobjon.com/butternut.html
And from this site: http://ecsong.ca/vol15no1.html#P "Butternut Salvage
As most of you already know, the butternut population across Nort America is being devastated by a fatal canker disease. Already mos southern butternuts have gone, and the infection are wide spread eve here in the north. A program is underway to find and propagat butternuts shown to be resistant. There is reason to be optimistic a such trees are known to exist.
However, most trees are doomed. Guy Lefebvre and others have suggeste that dying trees should be cut, in part to possibly slow the spread but at the same time to at least gain the wood. Though the loggin industry might be interested in such a harvest in ideal conditions most butternuts are too isolated to offer economical advantage. If yo are the owner of a doomed tree, you could consider harvesting i yourself. This would remove the illness from the site, and provide yo with valuable butternut wood that could be crafted into future heirloo furniture for your progeny. Members are invited to contact ECSONG's ne chair, Len Collett, who is interested in such work and may be able t advise or assist you in your endeavour."
New
-- Newt
Newt ( snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk) writes:

The bad news is I have difficulty beating the local squirrels to ripe nuts, or even telling when the nuts are ripe enough to take from the tree for germination. Waiting for them to drop is not a very good strategy.
I did plant some nuts but no sign of germination yet. I'd like to grow a "banzai butternut" indoors in a pot. :)