when to transplant lilacs

I have two lilac (syringa) bushes down by my creek. They have suckers coming out of the bottom and they are leafing as well as the main bush is blooming. When is the best time to remove the suckers so I can use them for transplants?
snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com wrote:

Is there any question of the lilacs being grafted? If there is, don't use the suckers for transplanting. If you want more lilacs from that particular bush, take cuttings from soft branches after bloom time is over.
<what are the chances of finding lovingly grafted plants in the dark dark woods? my grandfather threw some lilac bushes he had dug up into a ravine, and they took root there--the blooms on the branches were pink/purple and lovely, while what grew from the suckers were blue and scraggly>