When to transplant irises?

I have a 2 year old iris clump that is really too tall for the spot it's in. When can I safely move them? Thanks!
The best time is late autumn, but if you absolutely must move them now, wait until after they flower, or you'll probably piss them off.

Thanks Doug!

Stu Pittasso wrote:

The best time is when your local nurseries (not lumber yards or hardware stores, but real nurseries) have bare-root irises for sale. See my <URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_divide_iris.html .
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Nice url, thank you. Any suggestions on organic methods to control iris borer?
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com
David Bockman wrote:

No. While I garden "semi-organically", I would immediately grab the nearest chemical toxin if I had iris borer.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
The best time to transplant Iris rhizomes is from late July to mid September, NOT late autumn.

That hasn't been my experience, but if it's worked for you, then apparently the plants are pretty agreeable.