When to start water / fertilizing established bulbs for the fall?

OK, from what I've read, bulbs like daffodils and tulips become active in the fall and grow roots. During this time it's recommended to water and fertilize them. I use a metering pump to apply Algoflash at 1/2 oz per gallon every few days.

My question is though, when is it best to start this? September 1? September 15? October 1?

Reply to
Pelvis Popcan

I'd recommend you use a fertilizer that is formulated specifically for bulbs (typically not a water soluble product) and work gently into the soil above where the bulbs are planted. This should be done at the time when you normally plant spring blooming bulbs in your climate - in most cases the bulbs are not even available for sale until after Labor Day. Unless you have an unusually dry fall, supplemental irrigation is not necessary - let Mother Nature take her course. In my zone 8 climate, I wouldn't even think about planting spring blooming bulbs before mid-October. It's too warm and too dry.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam