when to separate iris's

I live in Phila, PA area. When do I dig up and separate my iris's? Could someone please direct me to a site on the web that gives instructions for how to do this. Thanks.

John Clarke

Reply to
jc

John, I do it anytime after they quit blooming. The earlier you do it, the better chance you have of getting blooms the following summer, otherwise I have found that it takes mine two years.

One trick I have tried and found that it works, is to take the shovel blade and put it in the center of the clump of risones, and cut it in half. I leave half undisturbed and take out the other half and separate it. That way I still get blooms the following year.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

If they're bearded iris, do it when fresh rhizomes are in stock at your local nurseries. The time to divide them is the same as the time to plant new iris.

Reply to
David Ross