When to prune fruit trees

I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania, a cold Zone 5, and have an orchard of apple trees. In the past, I've pruned the trees in mid to late February when they were in full dormancy, however, this year I sprained my ankle and won't be able to get to them until late March. Is this still ample time for pruning? What would be the absolute last day to do so? Thank you for your help.
I'm not sure what you mean by full dormancy. Apple trees stay dormant throughout the cold season, until they come out of it sometime in Spring. You can tell when the leaf buds begin to swell, or open. I am in the Midwest, but also in Zone 5, and we have had very cold weather up to now, with the exception of one day a week ago, when it got up to the low 50's. That was not enough to get the trees out of dormancy. Apple trees, being very hardy, can be pruned almost anytime during the dormancy period.
Don't forget that Winter pruning is usually for invigorating new growth, whereas
late Summer is better for things like opening up tree to more sunlight, because any cuttings then, will produce regrowth that will probably die back over the following Winter.
Sherwin D.
Beth Pierce wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I've never worked with trees before; just houseplants and gardens.
Beth Pierce wrote:

http://ssfruit.cas.psu.edu/default.htm
--
ASC: Born to Herf '05: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/sponsors.htm