When to plant tomatoes.

Chemicals on your lawn eventually end up somewhere. Can you guess where?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Bette" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

when i was 3, i told my grandpa i was going to be a farmer. he wasn't a farmer, per se, he worked for the Erie Lackawanna, but he had an acre of veggie garden out back (with flowers mixed in, of course). i used to weed (not much because he kept between the rows tilled), pick veggies & catch toads in the garden. eventually i got older & people thought i should pick a job like teacher or something. i went to college as an ag major (over much objection by my parents). growing stuff is just what i do. :) oh, & i have llamas & chickens, too. and a 5 year old. lee

Reply to
enigma

We're not being nosey with our question....... Where one lives determines the growing season zone, and that is the clue to when you can safely plant tomatoes. I, too, live in PA. IF I lived in the southern counties, I'd be in one zone, if in a northern county, it'd be a different zone, but in central PA, we're in zone 6 where it's a few days too early to plant tomatoes - still a chance of frost. You are "probably" in zone 6, too, but far enough south of us to go ahead and plant them now. Just listen for frost warnings on WGAL!

ilex > Doug Kanter wrote:

Reply to
Holley

You have wonderful memories as I do. An acre of garden must have been a delight with flowers and his favorite veggies

What an interesting life. You write beautifully. Have you considered writing and publishing a book? I love dogs and finally did something about it. After several seminars at Cornell University I studied Canine Behavior Modification. (our two children were in college and needed to get out and also study.)

Volunteered my time at our local SPCA in Jersey, where we worked with biters. Dogs ready to be put down, needed that second chance.

In that so many have undetected ear infections will bite. The vets, carefully muzzled them and it took forever to clean out the ear canal, followed by antibiotics.

After the pain was alleviated we did some careful study of the dogs behavior. If and when a child is bitten ~ put the dog down. Sad but true, the parents are not watching and dogs should not be allowed to participate in a baby's activities. We learned about Pack theory and how Fido will treat the baby as the lower one in his pack. As wolves, dogs will bite. It is their nature. When puppies play, they bite ~ their way of communicating.

Okay ~ let's talk about veggies. So glad we decided to wait to plant our tomatoes. Last night was cold and rainy. Bette

Reply to
Bette