When to plant tomatoes.

Page 3 of 3

my lawn has a lot of moss. i like moss. you don't have to mow it ;) however, it also shows i really need to lime my soil, as moss prefers acidic soil... the mossy pasture will get limed first though. the livestock doesn't eat moss.

ew, Chem Lawn? that's really unhealthy for your enviroment. seriously, it sets you up for a continuous need for chemicals to maintain your lawn by killing all the worms & bacteria that makes up a healthy soil. dandelions like good dirt. i don't treat them because they have deep tap roots that help breakup a hardpan level (happens if the land was mechanically plowed frequently) & my tortoises really like to eat them ;) don't rely on ChemLawn to tell you what your lawn needs. they're in the business to keep selling you chemical treatments you don't really need. talk to your local county extention agent. they offer free & appropriate advice on lawn & garden care.

i know you said you were retired... in my experience places like ChemLawn often try to take advantage of those of us who are older by pitching that thier chemical treatments will make life "easier". it's not true. also, if you decide to place any flower beds in your front yard, those chemicals they spray on the lawn will do nasty things to your flowers (or if they spray upwind of your veggie garden, the wind drift will do bad things to the veggies) lee
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of
enigma wrote:

Yes I know and wonders for my allergies. <yuck>

Thanks for your wisdom and advice. Wow you know SO much. Bette

when i was 3, i told my grandpa i was going to be a farmer. he wasn't a farmer, per se, he worked for the Erie Lackawanna, but he had an acre of veggie garden out back (with flowers mixed in, of course). i used to weed (not much because he kept between the rows tilled), pick veggies & catch toads in the garden. eventually i got older & people thought i should pick a job like teacher or something. i went to college as an ag major (over much objection by my parents). growing stuff is just what i do. :) oh, & i have llamas & chickens, too. and a 5 year old. lee <had the kid at 47>
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of
enigma wrote:

a delight with flowers and his favorite veggies

What an interesting life. You write beautifully. Have you considered writing and publishing a book? I love dogs and finally did something about it. After several seminars at Cornell University I studied Canine Behavior Modification. (our two children were in college and needed to get out and also study.)
Volunteered my time at our local SPCA in Jersey, where we worked with biters. Dogs ready to be put down, needed that second chance.
In that so many have undetected ear infections will bite. The vets, carefully muzzled them and it took forever to clean out the ear canal, followed by antibiotics.
After the pain was alleviated we did some careful study of the dogs behavior. If and when a child is bitten ~ put the dog down. Sad but true, the parents are not watching and dogs should not be allowed to participate in a baby's activities. We learned about Pack theory and how Fido will treat the baby as the lower one in his pack. As wolves, dogs will bite. It is their nature. When puppies play, they bite ~ their way of communicating.
Okay ~ let's talk about veggies. So glad we decided to wait to plant our tomatoes. Last night was cold and rainy. Bette