when to pick eggplant?

Hi All,
With my black thumb, my two eggplants are probably half normal size. So I can't judge when to pick based on size from the grocery store.
I got 7 pretty fruits a growing on the two plants and more of those heart stopping beautiful flowers too.
I do not want them too tough that I can't eat the skins. Wonderful nutrition in the skins.
Is there any indicator, other than size, I should look for when they are ready for the pan?
Many thanks, -T
Todd said:

If you wait for them to be as big as the ones you see in the store, or for them to start losing their glossiness, you have waited too long. Any eggplant that is not firm and glossy is too far gone.
Picking them sooner rather than later means they will have few seeds and shouldn't need to be 'sweated' with salt to remove bitterness.
I prefer them when you can easily wrap a hand around them (the oval types) or even smaller. The long, thin Asian ones, no more than eight inches.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On 07/30/2014 07:00 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

My biggest one is
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 07/30/2014 07:00 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Hi Pat,
I am not sure, but I will look carefully at the gloss.
Right now my biggest one is six inches long and three inches around. The others are about 3 to 4 inches long and about an inch around. Is it time?
If I squeeze them, will it hurt them?
-T
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

And the more often they're picked the more will be produced.

No comment. ;)
Todd said:

I'd say, pick that biggest one. If it shows any tan seeds, pick the little ones, too. If not, let the small ones get bigger.
If they stop increasing in size, you've probably left them on too long (for my taste).

gently and they don't rebound, pick them right now (they may be passing their peak).
I should add, I have large hands (and pretty big feet--my latest purchase of running shoes was USA men's 11.5). So my hand may wrap a little farther around an eggplant than average.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On 07/31/2014 07:26 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Hi Pat,
I love the rebound test. Thank you!
-T
On 07/31/2014 07:26 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

They are hard as a rock. Yipee! They will grow bigger.