When to move seedlings into pots

Hi Guys,
I'm new here and, although over 60, new to real gardening too. I have huge experience at sitting in them, but almost none in creating them.
Here's the thing, I'm produced quite a few, and varied seedlings and am thrilled to see them emerge. Instructions are typically to plant them into pots when they are bid enough - how do I know when they are big enough? Is there a rough rule of thumb that would work? In particular, I'm trying to produce a number of ornamental grasses, so they'll be very fine when young.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Cheers all
Rob
--
Chewdadda

In article

How old are the seedlings? I usually pot veggies after the second set of true leaves, but that's not much help with a monocot. I'd give them 2 or 3 weeks to develop their root systems, transplant, and fish emulsion. You could use chemferts, but you may over fertilize, and burn the roots, and lose the seedlings. What are they growing in now? Wouldn't it be better to transfer them into trays?
--

- Billy

Chewdadda;853120 Wrote: > Hi Guys,

> huge experience at sitting in them, but almost none in creating them.

> thrilled to see them emerge. Instructions are typically to plant them > into pots when they are bid enough - how do I know when they are big > enough? Is there a rough rule of thumb that would work? In > particular, I'm trying to produce a number of ornamental grasses, so > they'll be very fine when young.

You pot up your seedlings when their first true leaves [as opposed to coyledons] appear. Do not pot into too large a pot, They need their roots slightly restricted.
--
beccabunga

beccabunga;853210 Wrote: > You pot up your seedlings when their first true leaves [as opposed to > coyledons] appear. Do not pot into too large a pot, They need their > roots slightly restricted.
Thanks for that info, that's something I wasn't aware of. Off to the small pot shop to stock up :-)
Rob
--
Chewdadda

Chewdadda wrote:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/vegetable/when-to-transplant-a-seedling-plant-into-the-garden.htm
I think it is not so much how soon, but to transplant before it is root bound.
Jeff

Thanks for that, Jeff, that makes sense to me. I had been concerned that I'd have to move them while they were very small and fragile.
Cheers
Rob
--
Chewdadda